Mario 64 Has Become A First-Person Survival Horror
16th Sep 2022 15:33
Let's be honest, the Mario games aren't exactly scary. Apart from the ominous "hu-hu-hu" of Bowser and the haunting melody of Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round, the scariest thing you'll find are Professor E. Gadd's failed experiments in Luigi's Mansion . Okay, so the man-eating piano in Super Mario 64 is pretty scary.
Now, someone has taken the darker aspects of the Mushroom Kingdom and turned the N64's classic Super Mario 64 into a full-blown survival horror. In a time that we're obsessed with seeing Ethan Winters have his hands sliced off in Resident Evil Village , or aliens being pureed in The Callisto Protocol , a Mario survival horror definitely has potential.
What Is The Mario Survival Horror?
The trailer ominously starts with the idea it's been five years since Mario rescued Princess Peach and tucked into a well-earned slice of cake. It's clear a lot has changed in the castle, and while we've vanquished Bowser, something much more sinister has set up residence here. The game is called Another Princess is in Our Castle , and to be honest, we can't wait to play.
With a warning that "something is coming or you," we get some serious A Nightmare on Elm Street vibes. Mario explores this familiar haunt, but this time, a ghostly version of Peach is chasing him. Complete with gnashing teeth and a wicked laugh, this restless spirit is out for blood. There's a decidedly Alien: Isolation vibe here, as armed with a lantern, Mario has to hide from this evil Peach.
According to Nintendo Life , Another Princess is in Our Castle is the brainchild of developer CM9_Animation. It's even more macabre than you'd think, as the Peach haunting the castle is actually our Peach after her untimely death, while Mario is only an impersonator. It might explain why Peach is so peeved.
Can You Play The Mario Survival Horror Game?
The aim of the game is to find a series of statuettes hidden around the castle, while also keeping your stamina stocked. In this first build of the game, it takes around 15 minutes to complete and you collect the first eight statues.
More than just being a first-person mod of Super Mario 64 , it's actually been built from the ground up. If you want to play, you can download the demo over on itch.io . On the site, the developer explains how they plan to turn the demo into a fully realised game. Imagine being chased by Ghost Peach across Bob-Omb Battlefield, Jolly Roger Bay, and Big Boo's Haunt.
Watch NYCC Insider now!
See the best of the show floor, with Outside Xbox
This Mario 64 first-person horror game is terrifying
You step quietly into the castle, holding a lantern aloft in your gloved hand. You creep up the stairs into a room of stained glass windows. Then, turning to leave, the horrific ghost of Princess Peach lurches through the doorway to scare the crap out of you. Game Over.
Another Princess Is In Our Castle is a horror game based on the N64 classic Super Mario 64 that has you exploring Peach's famous castle in first person, spotted by Nintendo Life .
The aim of the game is to collect eight statuettes around the castle, all while avoiding the stalking ghost of Peach by hiding in chests and conserving your limited stamina.
"It seems Peach died a few years ago and now the castle is empty. Or rather, it should be empty, but Peach's tormented ghost still haunts the halls," explains the game's description .
"Maybe Mario should call up his brother to deal with the problem though - he's got much more experience with ghostbusting!"
Between the basic polygon graphics with dimmed colours and the lack of music with just Mario's tapping shoes and Peach's screams for company, this is honestly terrifying.
I recently played notorious horror game Visage, but that's not a patch on this.
You know when cute children's things are made to seem scary? This is the video game equivalent.
My childhood is officially ruined.
Alan Wake just got a playable half-hour recap in Fortnite ahead of its sequel
Mortal Kombat: Onslaught's free-to-play RPG battling is officially available now
New King Kong game is a swing and a miss with the internet
Gimli actor to reprise role for The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria
Postal narrative adventure Lake gets festive DLC next month
Next wave of Xbox Game Pass games includes Dead Space, Cities: Skylines 2 and Jusant
Epic Games layoffs included almost half of Bandcamp's staff
Formula E launches first official video game on the blockchain
The latest video game jobs on GamesIndustry.biz
Buy things with globes on them
And other lovely Eurogamer merch in our official store!
Secret of the Haunted Books
Go inside the large ghost house ahead of you. Upon entering the house, head up the stairs to reach the second floor and face left. Walk toward the left wall to eventually reach a door. Use it and you'll enter a long hall of books. As you make your way down the hall, jump to avoid the books firing out.
When you run into a dead-end, you'll see three green books that poke out from the rest. Kick them in the correct order and the bookshelf will slide away.
- First, hit the book in the center.
- Second, hit the book on the right side.
- Lastly, hit the book on the left and, finally, the one on the left.
After correctly hitting all the books, the bookshelf will slide out of the way. Use the door it reveals to enter the next room and get the Power Star.
Up next: seek the 8 red coins, top guide sections.
- Castle Secret Stars List
- How to Unlock the Wing Cap
- How to Unlock the Vanish Cap
Was this guide helpful?
In this guide.
Super Mario 64 (N64)
Copyright © 1997-2023 TheMushroomKingdom.net
Super Mario 64/Big Boo's Haunt
This article could use a cleanup in order to be more legible and/or presentable. Please help improve this article in any way possible. Remember to follow our editing guidelines when improving existing articles. If you can improve this page, please edit it , or help by discussing possible changes on the talk page .
If you need help with wiki markup, see the wiki markup page . If you want to try out wiki markup without damaging a page, why not use the sandbox ?
Table of Contents
- Bob-omb Battlefield - 0 stars required
- Whomp's Fortress - 1 star required
- Jolly Roger Bay - 3 stars required
- Cool, Cool Mountain - 3 stars required
- Big Boo's Haunt - 12/15 stars required
- Bowser in the Dark World - 8/12 stars required
- Hazy Maze Cave - 8/12 stars required
- Lethal Lava Land - 8/12 stars required
- Shifting Sand Land - 8/12 stars required
- Dire, Dire Docks - 30 stars required
- Bowser in the Fire Sea - 31 stars required
- Snowman's Land - 31 stars required
- Wet-Dry World - 31 stars required
- Tall, Tall Mountain - 31 stars required
- Tiny-Huge Island - 31 stars required
- Tick Tock Clock - 50 stars required
- Rainbow Ride - 50 stars required
- Bowser in the Sky - 70/80 stars required
- Secret Castle Stars
- Tower of the Wing Cap - 10/14 stars required
- Cavern of the Metal Cap - 8/12 stars required
- Vanish Cap Under the Moat - 8/31 stars required
- The Princess' Secret Slide - 1 star required
- The Secret Aquarium - 3 stars required
- Wing Mario Over the Rainbow - 50 stars required
- Glowing Rabbits
- Sunshine Isles - 1 star required
- The Secret of Battle Fort - 8 stars required
- Goomboss Battle - 8 stars required (Mario)
- Big Boo Battle - 14 stars required (Luigi)
- Chief Chilly Challenge - 31 stars required (Wario)
- Location: Outside in the courtyard. Find the stairs going to the basement and follow the hallway across from them. Kill the lone ghost on the left of the courtyard, and hop in to the cage.
- Description: Big mansion filled with ghosts, eyes, and a merry-go-round.
Star 1: Go On a Ghost Hunt [ edit ]
- 1 Star 1: Go On a Ghost Hunt
- 2 Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-go-round
- 3 Star 3: Secret Of The Haunted Books
- 4 Star 4: Seek The 8 Red Coins
- 5 Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony
- 6 Star 6: Eye To Eye In The Secret Room
- 7 Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (Nintendo DS)
- 8 Star 7: 100 Coins
- 9 1-Up Locations
In this level, the objective is to kill all of the boos. Before you can face the final big boo, you will have to kill all of the smaller ones.
First go round the back of the mansion and enter the back door and kill the two boos in that room, then enter the building from the front. Next, enter the left room on the front wall and defeat the Boo in there. Then, go in the right door on the front wall and defeat the Boo in there. Still in the right room, move on to the next room and defeat the Boo in that room, then go back to the large main room. Big Boo will spawn. It takes three hits to beat the big Boo. Each time you hit him he will become smaller and faster. After you have defeated him, the staircase will rise and lead to the first star in this level.
Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-go-round [ edit ]
After entering the course, enter the smaller building, head down the elevator, and go through the doors to reach The Carousel. Five Boos will arrive through one of the paintings. Punch all the Boos from behind to defeat them, before finally fighting the big boo in the same way you did above. Watch out for the painting in the middle of the right wall, as it shoots out flames.
Star 3: Secret Of The Haunted Books [ edit ]
Enter the mansion. Go up the stairs and make a left. Enter the second door on the left wall. Avoid the flying books while running to the end of the shelf. Turn right and run to the end. At the end are three books. Punch them in this order: top, right, left. The bookcase will slide open to reveal a door. Go through the door and there is your star. If you hit the books in the wrong order, the puzzle will reset and a book will fly out from a shelf to attack.
Star 4: Seek The 8 Red Coins [ edit ]
Get all 8 red coins. Look all inside the house. Be sure to go upstairs and downstairs.
- Coin 1: Go to the main door of the house and enter it. After coming inside, make a quick left to the first door. In the room, you will see a piano. Go close to the piano, and it will try to attack you. When the piano moves, there will be a coin in the place it originally was.
- Coins 2 and 3: Go to the door in the room you are currently in The Mad Piano room that is visible straight in front of red coin #1. As soon as you enter the room, jump on top of both of the bookcases in the room. You will now have 3 coins.
- Coin 4: Leave the bookcase room. Go to the door on the other side of the big entrance room. There should only be one door on this wall. Enter it and proceed to get the red coin on the little platform near where a ghost should be. This platform has a window shining right on it.
- Coin 5: Leave the room, and then go up the stairs leading to the second story. When you reach the second story, go directly to the last door on the right. Enter the room. You should see a wall of 2 bookcases. Go to the end of the bookcases. As you are going along the bookcases, two books will most likely try to attack you. Behind the bookcase is a red coin. Get it, but be careful of the moving floor. If you fall, you will have to make your way up to the mansion again. You can identify the moving floor by looking for a crack near the coin.
- Coins 6 and 7: Head back out the way you came and go to the door directly to the left of the door you just left. You will come into a small space with a floating eyeball. Kill it if you would like to. Go into the bigger room connected to the small space, and search the coffins for red coins. The two coins can be found under the front-right coffin and center-left coffin.
- Coin 8: After leaving The Coffins, go to the next room directly left of that as well. You should be in a room above the floating eye and a ghost. There will be red wire stretched across much of the floor. Make your way to the directly opposite wall from the door, where there is a coin.
The star is located on the left side of the entrance room on the second story right under a window. Grab it. Congratulations, you got another star!
A map of the outside of Big Boo's Haunt.
A map of the first floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out.
A map of the second floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out.
A map of the second floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out, in the Nintendo DS version of the game.
Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony [ edit ]
Go to the second floor and go through the door on the far right. Stand on the platform and look up. You will see a second balcony. Use the power flower box or, if you haven't got to the switch yet, wall kick up there. If you go out the door to the balcony, there will be another big boo. Hit him three times, then get the ? box next to you, or long jump across and climb the roof to get to the star. Use first person to help you walk and jump as some of the walkways are thin and easy to slip from. To get the star, play as Mario so that when you get the ? box you will be able to float up and get the star from the higher point on the roof.
Star 6: Eye To Eye In The Secret Room [ edit ]
Get to the balcony where the blue cap box is, and get it. Go up to the room where the door to big boo's balcony is, and go through the picture of the ghost. When you return to normal, run around the eyeball for the star.
Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (Nintendo DS) [ edit ]
You must be Wario to access the switch. The black bricks in the basement reveal the switch. Run through the outside of the basement carousel in time to get the star.
Star 7: 100 Coins [ edit ]
There are two changes to the route. First, the Brick Blocks at the start are now Black Brick Blocks, which still contain 6 coins but cannot be broken unless you are playing as Wario. There are 5 coins at the very top of the mansion, so after you grab the blue coins from the blue coin switch, head out to the balcony, and try your best to jump up there.
Collect 100 coins. This is made easier when done on stars 2-7.
- Behind you when you start is a Crazy Box. Grab it, and it'll send you sky high. When you land, it breaks open, and you can get five yellow coins.
- On the opposite side of the shed to the Crazy Box are two Brick Blocks, containing 3 coins each for a total of 6 coins.
- There are three Scuttlebugs around the mansion, one at the front and two at the back. They'll give you three coins each for a total of nine coins.
- Also at the back of the mansion, there is a yellow ! Block, which has 10 yellow coins.
- Enter the door at the back of the mansion. There are two Boos there, with a blue coin each, for a total of 10 coins.
- Exit the door, head around to the front, and head in the main doors. Go in the first door on the left, and grab the red coin behind the Mad Piano for two coins.
- Leave that room, and go in the next door. Grab the two red coins in the room for 4 coins total.
- Head out of that room and head into the next room. There is a Mr. I and a Boo, which both contain blue coins.
- The next room has a single Boo with a blue coin in it.
- Go through to the next room and kill the next Boo for five more coins.
- Get the red coin contained in this room and head out.
- Run upstairs and enter the door on the left side of the rear wall. Grab the red coin contained in that room.
- Enter the door on the other side of the rear wall. Kill the Mr. I in that room for a blue coin.
- There are two red coins contained under coffins in the room for 4 more coins.
- Go into the next room, where you can find a red coin on the other side of the bookcase.
- Head up to the top floor. There's a blue coin switch here, which makes four blue coins appear. Grab them, and collect your 100 coin star.
1-Up Locations [ edit ]
The following is where to find both green mushrooms:
- On top of the shed outside.
- On top of the house in a ! block.
- Pages needing cleanup
Ghost ( Donkey Kong 64 )
Ghosts  are a variant of Kritter that only appear in Donkey Kong 64 . They wear a bed sheet over their body to mimic the appearance of a ghost.
Ghosts are uncommon enemies that only appear in Creepy Castle . They try to attack the active Kong by simply running at them. Unlike other enemies, Ghosts do not respawn often unless the Kongs re-enter the stage. When a Ghost sees the active Kong, it makes a sound and slowly charges at them. Ghosts share their weakness with Kritters and take a single hit to defeat.
During the boss fight with King Kut Out , some Ghosts spawn in the center stage each time King Kut Out is hit. Although Ghosts serve as a distraction, the Kongs can still defeat them for slices of Watermelon .
- 2 Names in other languages
- 4 References
Profiles [ edit ]
Names in other languages [ edit ], trivia [ edit ].
- In the Game Boy Advance remake for Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest , Kackles and Kloaks have the same sound effect as Ghosts.
References [ edit ]
- ^ Barton, Jeff, Mario De Govia, and Donato Tica. Donkey Kong 64 Prima Official Game Guide. Page 15 .
- ^ 「ドンキーコング64任天堂公式ガイドブック」 ( Donkey Kong 64 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook ), page 12 .
- Kremling Krew
- Donkey Kong 64 enemies
Page actions, personal tools.
- Not logged in
- Create account
- Featured articles
- Wiki maintenance
- Recent changes
- Random page
- The 'Shroom
- Mario Boards
- Discord servers
- What links here
- Related changes
- Special pages
- Printable version
- Permanent link
- Page information
- This page was last edited on June 28, 2023, at 01:27.
- Content is available under Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported unless otherwise noted.
- About MarioWiki
- Mobile view