120 Best Ghost Quotes for Kids
Are you looking for spooky ghost quotes? Then you are in the right place!
Here are 120 Ghost Sayings for Kids including matching books and activities.
Let’s have a look!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What are ghosts, about ghosts, ghost books for kids, ghost sayings for kids, cute ghost quotes for kids, best ghost quotes, quotes about ghosts, short ghost quotes, funny ghost quotes for kids, cute ghost captions, ghost captions for kids, funny ghost puns, funny ghost sayings, ghost jokes for kids, famous quotes about ghosts, more quotes, easy ghost and halloween activities, fascinating ghost facts.
Before we get started with our ghost quotes for kids, let’s learn a little bit about them.
It is said, that a ghost is a soul or spirit of a dead person or animal!
But it has never been proven that ghosts are real!
Believing in ghosts goes back to ancient times. Ghost stories are still popular among kids at sleepovers and campouts.
Ghosts seem to appear in different forms. They might be invisible or look like a dead person.
If you believe in ghosts, cold air or strange lights can be a signal of their presence. Ghost sounds include laughter, crying, and footsteps.
They might shut doors and windows and move around objects.
A ghost who is known for throwing and breaking things is called a “poltergeist”.
The place where ghosts appear is said to be “haunted”.
These and more interesting facts about ghosts can be found here .
After we learned some cool facts about ghosts you might like to read a matching book to your children.
Here are some great book recommendations on children’s ghost books for you:
- Gus the Gassy Ghost
A Funny Rhyming Halloween Story Picture Book for Kids and Adults About a Farting Ghost, Early Reader.
- The Little Ghost Who Lost Her Boo!
The New York Times bestselling read-aloud about a little ghost who goes on a nighttime hunt to find her lost “boo!”.
- Ghost Afraid of the Dark
Ghost Afraid of the Dark-With Glow-in-the-Dark Cover-Follow a Shy Little Ghost as he Discovers how to be Brave-Now in Board Book Format.
- The Little Ghost Who Didn’t Like to Be Scary
Layla is a ghost and ghosts are supposed to be scary. They’re supposed to haunt castles and shout BOOO! But Layla would much rather play with her friends.
Are you interested in more kid’s activities, arts & crafts, and science experiments? I have made it easy for you! Join our newsletter now and I will send you new fun for kids. Subscribe for free
Time to get spooky with our kid’s Halloween Ghost Quotes .
Our list includes ghost sayings for kids, best quotes about ghosts, short, cute, and funny ghost phrases and captions, funny ghost puns, and clean ghost jokes for kids.
Let’s have a look and get inspired!
Here are some of our favorite ghost sayings for kids:
- I have no body to dance with.
- What “ghosts” around comes around.
- All these ghosts, and I still can’t find a boo.
- You are Boo-tiful!
- Excuse me but BOO!
- Too cute to spook!
- Ghost hug, you can’t feel it but it is there!
- Ghosts don’t give a sheet.
- Get your spooky on!
“Ghosting people is my superpower!” Unknown
Looking for adorable and friendly ghost quotes to enchant the little ones? We’ve conjured up a list of six cute ghost quotes that are perfect for kids, guaranteed to bring smiles and not spooks!
- “Boo! I’m not here to scare, just to say ‘Hi!’ I’m a friendly ghost, flying by your side.”
- “In the moonlight’s glow, I softly appear, your friendly ghost, always near.”
- “Giggles and wiggles, in the dark we play, with a cute little ghost, to light the way.”
- “When you feel a chill, and the night’s not bright, it’s just me, your ghostly friend, saying ‘Goodnight!'”
- “I’m a ghost, so don’t you fear, I’ll make you smile from ear to ear!”
- “When shadows dance and moonbeams gleam, your friendly ghost is in your dream.”
- “ That’s some boo sheet! “
- “You can’t scare me I m a ghost!”
- “Ghost ahead, make my day!”
- “Trick or treat, bag of sweets, ghosts are walking down the street.”
Your kids will love the following cute ghost quotes:
- The past is a ghost, the future is a dream, and all we ever have is now!
- The Boo Crew!
- Boo Freaking Hoo
- Ghosts and goblins come to play on October’s final day.
- If you are a ghost, I love to be scared by you all the time! Happy Halloween
- “Ghosts are hiding in the walls: Creeping out when midnight calls…” – Rusty Fischer
- Ghouls just wanna have fun.
- Forget the ghosts.. beware of me!
Ghosts have long fascinated and spooked us, inspiring writers and thinkers to craft poignant quotes that delve into the enigma of the afterlife.
Here are 10 thought-provoking quotes about ghosts from various authors, each shedding light on the mystique of the spectral world.”
- “There is no ghost so difficult to lay as the ghost of an injury.” – Alexander Smith
- “Ghosts don’t haunt us. That’s not how it works. They’re present among us because we won’t let go of them.” – Sue Grafton
- “It is not the dead rather the living who turn into ghosts.” – Bruce Jackson
- “Sometimes, even to live is an act of courage.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” – H.P. Lovecraft
- “Ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to.” – Richard Harris Barham
- “Ghosts are history demanding to be remembered and it’s the living who choose to ignore it.” – Jodi Picoult
- “The ghostly presence of other humans is something we can’t help but sense, even when we don’t see them.” – Siri Hustvedt
- “When you make peace with authority, you become authority.” – Jim Morrison
- “In every man’s heart, there is a secret nerve that answers to the vibrations of beauty.” – Christopher Morley
Short but sweet. Let’s check out these short ghost quotes:
- “The memory fades, and I’m left hanging on to the ghosts of his words.” – Mari Lu
- “The ghosts you chase you never catch.” – John Malkovich
- “True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.” – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- “ Our feet are planted in the real world, but we dance with angels and ghosts.” – John Cameron Mitchell
- “I love having my ghosts, and I love having my memories.” – Debbie Reynolds
- “Ghosts are all around us. Look for them, and you will find them.” – Ruskin Bond
- “Now I know what a ghost is. Unfinished business, that’s what.” – Salman Rushdie
- “I like to say I believe in ghosts so I don’t get haunted by one.” – Ella Henderson
- “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” – Stephen King
Did you enjoy our ghost greetings for kids? Then go check out our popular Halloween Activities. How about our DIY Halloween Card Ideas , Halloween Party Games , or Halloween Activities next?
Spookiness and humor go hand in hand, especially when it comes to ghostly encounters for kids.
Enjoy a giggle with these 10 funny ghost quotes, that are sure to tickle your young ones’ funny bones!
- “Ghosts are just people with sheets over their heads and bad hair days.”
- “Why did the ghost go to the party? Because he heard it was going to be a ‘boo’-last!”
- “I asked a ghost to play hide and seek, but he said he couldn’t because he’s always a’scare’d.”
- “Ghosts don’t tell lies because they’re too transparent for that!”
- “What’s a ghost’s favorite ride at the amusement park? The roller-ghoster!”
- “Why did the ghost bring a ladder to the bar? Because he wanted to get to the ‘boos’!”
- “Ghost chefs are terrible at making omelets because they always use too many ‘boo’con bits!”
- “I told a ghost a joke, and it laughed so hard it fell to pieces – now it’s a ‘crack’ling ghost!”
- “Why did the ghost get in trouble at school? Because it didn’t follow the ‘spook’tacular rules!”
- “Ghosts make terrible storytellers because they always start with, ‘When I was alive…'”
Time to check out these fun captions of ghosts next:
- Me and my boo 👻.
- With the boo crew.
- Hey, boo-tiful.
- I can see right through you.
- Don’t make me ghost you.
- Hi boo. Bye boo.
- I’m here to lift your spirits.
- This night was un-boo-lievable
- Will you be my boo?
- Feelin’ boo-tiful!
“Have a fa-boo-lous Halloween!” Unknown
Capture the spirit of fun with these spooktacular ghost captions perfect for kids!
Whether for Halloween photos or playful moments, these captions will add a touch of ghostly charm to your child’s pictures.
- “Ghostest with the mostest.”
- “I’m happy you didn’t ghost me, ’cause now you’re my boo.”
- “My favorite kind of pie is boo-berry.”
- “This is boo sheet.”
- “You’ve been ghosted. “
- “Boo to you! 👻”
- “Just ghostin’ around.”
- “I’m a ‘BOO’tiful ghost!”
- “Ghostly giggles in the air.”
- “Spook-tacular moments with my friendly ghost friend
Let’s move on to some funny puns about ghosts.
- Ghosts are terrible liars because you can see right through them.
- When the ghost family got in their car the dad told the kids to fasten their sheet-belts.
- The ghost was told off when he spook out of turn.
- The best place for a ghost to go on holiday is The Dead Sea.
- Panda ghosts love to eat bam-boo.
- For dessert, the ghost made a delicious boo-meringue.
- The ghost had to turn her car around because she reached a dead end.
- When the ghost blew his nose, lots of boo-gers came out.
- To know if ghosts think you are a good singer or not, you have to listen for any boos.
- At the Italian restaurant, the ghoul ordered spook-ghetti for his main course.
“When the ghost watched a sad movie he started boo-hooing.” Unknown
What do you think about this fun ghost sayings next?
- If you see a ghost you should always say ‘how do you boo?’
- When the ghost saw his wife he said ‘you’re not just cute, you’re boo-tiful too!’
- I feel like I have seen that ghost before…I must have deja boo.
- When they want to relax, ghosts have a boo-ble bath.
- Two ghosts were at a disco. One was having a fa-boo-lous time and the other wanted to boo-gie all night long!
- When ghosts visit the seaside, they always get an i-scream.
- Ghosts always love to eat breakfast in the moaning.
- I found out yesterday that the Mexican dish ghosts like the most is a boo-rito.
- How do ghosts cry when they’re sad? Boo-hoo!
- What did the ghost teacher tell the class? Look at the board and I’ll go through it again.
You can not miss out on the following clean ghost jokes.
- Why are ghosts terrible liars? Because you can see right through them.
- What do ghosts use to wash their hair? Sham-boo!
- Why do ghosts love elevators? It lifts their spirits.
- What does a ghost eat with meatballs? Spook-etti.
- How does a ghost unlock a door? With a spoo-key.
- Where do baby ghosts spend the day when their parents are at work? Day-scare.
- What day do ghosts love to do their scaring? On Fright-day.
- How do ghosts take their eggs? Terri-fried.
- What did one ghost ask the other? Do you believe in humans?
- What’s a pirate ghost’s favorite kind of tea? Boo-tea.
What do ghosts use to keep their hair in place? Scare-spray!
- How do ghosts send letters? Through the ghost office.
- What room does a ghost not need in a house? A living room.
- What’s a ghost’s favorite type of fruit? Boo-berries!
Last but not least our famous ghost quotes for you:
- “Surely, she was too young to have so many ghosts.” – Cassandra Clare
- “Ghosts are never just ghosts; they provide us with an insight into what haunts our culture.” – Andrew Smith.
- “Ghosts are a metaphor for memory and remembrance and metaphorically connect our world to the world we cannot know about.” – Leslie What.
- “When thoroughly reliable people encounter ghosts, their stories are difficult to explain away.” – C. B. Colby.
- “On Halloween, witches come true; Wild ghosts escape from dreams. Each monster dances in the park.” – Nicholas Gordon.
- “There is no ghost so difficult to lay as the ghost of an injury.” – Alexander Smith.
- “Following the Romanian tradition, garlic is used in excess to keep the vampires away.” – Calvin Marshall Trillin.
- “There is no instinct like that of the heart.” – Lord Byron
- “A ghost is someone who hasn’t made it – in other words, who died, and they don’t know they’re dead. So they keep walking around and thinking that you’re inhabiting their – let’s say, their domain. So they’re aggravated with you.” – Sylvia Browne
Please be aware that all ghost quotes without an author are from an unknown source.
I like to introduce you to the following Halloween and fall quotes for kids:
- Halloween Quotes for Kids
- Jack-O-Lantern Captions
- Halloween Party Invitation Sayings
- Skeleton Quotes
- Witch Phrases
- Monster Quotes
- Frankenstein Captions
- Bat Sayings
- Candy Corn Puns
- Pumpkin Sayings
- Halloween Sayings for Kids
- Fall Quotes
- Hello October Wishes
- Apple Phrases
- Leaf Quotes for Kids
- Hedgehog Quotes
- Squirrel Captions
- Welcome November
- All Saints Sayings
- All Souls Day Quotes
- Dia de Los Muertos Messages
- Gratitude Quotes
After you are done with these spooky ghost quotes and sayings, go check out these fun Halloween activities next:
- Ghost Luminaries
- Halloween Ghost Pencil Eraser
- Ghost Gift Bag for Halloween
- DIY Ghost Decoration
- Ghost Art and Crafts
- Frankenstein Crafts
- Monster Crafts
- Friendly Monster Art
- Cursive Name Monster
- Halloween Party Invitations
- Pumpkin Arts and Crafts
- Backyard Pumpkin Patch Ideas
- Pumpkin Printables
- Pumpkin Art Projects
- Candy Corn Printables
- Skeleton Crafts
- Bat Templates
- Mummy Templates
- Scarecrow Projects
- Mummy Ideas
- Free Printable Halloween Bingo
If you are a visual learner, also go check out this matching DIY ghost card video tutorial for our ghost sayings for kids.
Pin Our Quotes about Ghosts
Don’t forget to save our 120 Top Ghost Quotes for Kids on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers here .
Now I would like to hear from you! Which saying about ghosts did you choose? Did you find a better one? Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now. I love to hear from you!
Things you buy through our links may earn Vox Media a commission
The Reason Ghosts Say ‘Boo’ Is Downright Adorable
While humans have been sharing ghost stories for thousands of years —Pliny the Younger offered an especially spooky Roman take at around 100 AD — the thing that ghosts say when you meet them is pretty modern. As noted on Etymonline and highlighted by Gretchen McCulloch, “boo” got its start in the early 15th century as boh , or a “combination of consonant and vowel especially fitted to produce a loud and startling sound.”
As a short but mighty syllable, boo is well-suited to its task: the “ b” comes out quickly, and the “ oo” is sharp and strong — perfect for a supernatural interjection. In doing some word hunting at Slate , Forrest Wickman reports that one of the earliest written record of boo comes from 1738, in Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence Display’d , where the author Gilbert Crokatt has it that boo is a “a word that’s used in the north of Scotland to frighten crying children,” which is terrible and weird.
The word seems to have arrived at its startling power by the 1820s, Wickman recounts, when “boo” became the word used to startle people during the witchiest parts of the year, preferably while wearing a sheet over one’s head. It also worked on animals: By 1870 , “crying boo to a goose” was the thing kids were told to do when dealing with aggressive waterfowl: If a goose steps to you, one author advised , cry “boo!” loudly and the bird will “will retire defeated.”
The Oxford English Dictionary compares “boo” to the Latin boare and the Greek boaein, “to cry aloud, roar, shout.” So when a ghost says “boo,” then, in a certain historical sense, it’s saying “I’m yelling,” which is super adorable . Even better, notes Wickman, the English “boo” has siblings across Europe. In Spain you frighten someone with “uuh,” in France with “hou,” in the Czech Republic, “baf.”
- science of us
The Cut Shop
Most viewed stories.
- Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of October 16
- Why Are We Always on Call for Our Kids?
- Every Thought We Had Rewatching Practical Magic
- The Woman Jealous of Her Boyfriend’s Date
- Millie Bobby Brown Is a Feminist Because Her Psychic Told Her So
- What Happened to Maya Kowalski
What is your email.
Sign In To Continue Reading
Create your free account.
Password must be at least 8 characters and contain:
- Lower case letters (a-z)
- Upper case letters (A-Z)
- Numbers (0-9)
- Special Characters (!@#$%^&*)
As part of your account, you’ll receive occasional updates and offers from New York , which you can opt out of anytime.
17 Scary Sayings for 'Ghost' From Across the United States
By angela tung | oct 3, 2018 | updated: oct 11, 2022, 9:48 am edt.
On Halloween , the spirits of the dead are supposed to walk the earth with the living. Whether or not you believe that, or in ghosts in general, you might want to know what you’re getting into if you hear a South Carolina native mention a plat-eye or a Maine resident warn you about swogons . Familiarize yourself with these spooky regional slang terms for the spectral from the Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE).
Referring to a ghost, demon, or spirit, skookum is chiefly a Northwest term and comes from a language of the Chinook Native American peoples of the Pacific Northwest. In the Northwest and Alaska, skookum as an adjective means strong, powerful, or good, while a skookum house is a jail and a skookum chuck is a turbulent channel of water.
More than just a Stephen King novel, tommyknocker has been used in the West since at least the early 20th century to mean a ghost that lives in a mine . It also refers to the knocking noises that said ghost is supposed to make. This ghost sense comes from the English dialect word tommyknocker, meaning a “hammer used to break ore.”
In the South and South Midland states, a haunt or hant is a ghost or spirit. The earliest definitions of haunt weren’t ghostly at all: According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the word originated in the 13th century to mean “to practice habitually” or “to frequent a place.” Around 1576, it gained the figurative meaning of memories, cares, feelings, thoughts, etc. that distract one frequently. In 1597, the term wandered into the supernatural. From Richard III : “Some haunted by the ghosts they have deposed.” Almost 300 years later, it finally came to refer to a spirit or ghost .
4. And 5. Hot Hant or Hot Steam
You might run into a hot hant or hot steam in the Lower Mississippi Valley and southern Alabama. In Ben Burman’s 1938 book, Blow for a Landing , hot hants are hot because “they’ve gone to hell.” In To Kill a Mockingbird , a hot steam is described as “somebody who can’t get to heaven, just wallows around on lonesome roads an’ if you walk through him, when you die you’ll be one too.”
This ghostly South and South Midland expression might also refer to an imaginary monster or the devil. In use since at least 1710, the OED says the word might come from the now obscure meaning of bug , an imaginary evil spirit (the insect meaning came later), and might also be influenced by boo . It can also bee seen as boogerboo and bugabo .
Careful if someone from the South or South Midland states says you have a booger —they could mean something more frightening than a piece of snot. The word originated in the 1750s to mean a despicable man, according to the OED , and came to mean a menacing supernatural creature in the 1820s (and dried nasal mucus in 1891).
In Alabama and Louisiana, you might say duppy for ghost. According to DARE, the word comes from Bube, a Bantu language of West Africa. The OED’s earliest citation in English is from British historian Edward Long’s 1774 book The History of Jamaica (“Those of deceased friends are duppies”), while DARE’s is from a 1919 issue of the Journal of American Folklore : “ … the ghost-story, the tale based on a belief about ‘hants’ or ‘bugies’ or ‘duppies.’”
Also high-behind and nigh-behind , this term refers to a ghost or imaginary creature that always hides behind some object. Henry Tryon’s 1939 book Fearsome Critters describes the hide-behind as a 6-foot-tall “highly dangerous animal” with “grizzly-like claws.” Conveniently enough, it’s “never known to attack an inebriate.” According to Vance Randolph’s 1951 We Always Lie to Strangers: Tall Tales from the Ozarks , the monster is “a lizard as big as a bull” that “lies in wait for human beings on the trails at night.”
A word for an imaginary monster or hobgoblin in the South and South Midland states, catawampus also means fierce, unsparing, and destructive, according to the OED , and originated as a humorous formation, the first part of which might have been influenced by catamount , a puma or cougar.
This Maine term for a spirit might come from Swamp Swogon as quoted in Holman Day’s Up in Maine : “For even in these days P.I.’s shake / At the great Swamp Swogon of Brassua Lake./ When it blitters and glabbers the long night through,/ And shrieks for the souls of the shivering crew.” Another Maine word, swogun (also spelled swagin, swagan , and other variations) refers to bean soup.
In Hawaii, an akua is a god, spirit, or supernatural being. The OED has atua , which it says is a Polynesian word with the same meaning.
This expression is used among Gullah speakers on the Georgia and South Carolina coasts. It could mean hunger or hard times, and may also be personified as a malevolent spirit. Where the word comes from isn’t clear.
Careful of plat-eyes if you’re roaming around in South Carolina at night. These hobgoblins or malevolent spirits are said to rise out of graves. Platt-eye prowl refers to the time of night they’re said to roam.
Another South Carolina expression, a go-devil is an evil spirit or someone made up to look like one. The term also refers to various machines and devices in agriculture, forestry, the oil industry, and logging.
16. Hag (or Hag Spirit)
While commonly known as a witch, in the Southeast a hag or hag spirit might also refer to the evil spirit of a dead person. Said spirit is supposed to cause nightmares by “riding” the luckless dreamer. Hag-ridden , according to the OED , means afflicted by nightmares or oppressed in the mind.
17. Rawhead and Bloodybones
In addition to being an excellent name for a death metal band, rawhead and bloodybones is a South and South Midland expression for a specter or hobgoblin. It’s an old term: DARE’s earliest citation in American English is from 1637, while in British English it’s 1566, according to the OED , whose definitions for both words border on terrifying: rawhead refers to something that is “typically imagined as having a head in the form of a skull, or one whose flesh has been stripped of its skin,” while bloodybones is sometimes described as a bogeyman “said to lurk in ponds waiting to drown children.”
A version of this story ran in 2018; it has been updated for 2022.
60 Ghost Puns For Captions That’ll Get You In The Halloween Spirit
There’s a pun for every snap with you and your ghoulfriends.
According to one of the most-watched movies of the season, Hocus Pocus , Halloween is “the one night of the year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth." Whether you believe in ghost stories or not, you have to admit that seeing all of the Halloween decor this time of year truly gets you in the spirit of things. For every seance you have planned with your basic witches or spooky costume you’ve got to wear, you'll want to keep around some ghost puns to use for some funny Instagram captions.
Let’s face it, puns are a great way to caption your best Insta pics. They’re guaranteed to conjure up a few LOLs on your feed. If you’re easily spooked by any unknown spirits, a good laugh is one way to help ease the tension you’re feeling and that’s what these funny ghost quotes will do. Of course, if you're like the Ghostbusters and you "ain't afraid of no ghosts," you’ll be embracing the spirits all Halloween long by watching scary movies and visiting haunted houses. For all those otherworldly plans you have, you and your ghoulfriends will need some Halloween ghost captions. Whatever the vibe, this list of 60 ghost puns are guaranteed to give you a truly haunting and hilarious caption.
- "I’m just here for the boos."
- "'Cause my body too bootylicious for ya babe." — Destiny's Child, "Bootylicious"
- "If you’ve got it, haunt it." — Rose Pressey
- "Next to you, in Mali-boo." — Punny take on Miley Cyrus' "Malibu"
- "I feel boo-tiful."
- "This is boo sheet."
- "Won't you be my boo?"
- "There's been some purranormal cativity."
- "Hi boo. Bye boo."
- "I'm bad and boo-gie."
- "My favorite kind of pie is boo-berry."
- "Came for the party, stayed for the boos."
- "I've got school spirit."
- "We've come to a dead end."
- "Hanging with my ghoulfriends."
- "Squad ghouls."
- "Haunting my exes."
- "Ghouls just wanna have fun."
- "Eat, drink, and be scary."
- "I can see right through you."
- "Ghouls rule, ghouls drool."
- "Sheet happens."
- "I don't know what I'm booing."
- "Don't make me ghost you."
- "You've been ghosted."
- "More boos, please."
- "Don’t spook until you’re spoken to."
- "You’ve been #ghosted."
- "Wishing you a spooktacular Halloween."
- "You will always be my boo." — Usher and Alicia Keys, "My Boo"
- "Getting in the spirit."
- "I'm studying eekonomics."
- "Whoooooo ghost there?"
- "All these ghosts, and I still can't find a boo."
- “Feeling un-boo-lievable.”
- “Fasten your sheet-belts, it’s going to be a boo-mpy night.”
- “Ghosts are terrible liars because you can see right through them.”
- “The most useless room in a ghost's home is the living room.”
- “The spoo-key to happiness is hanging out with my boos.”
- “Demons are a ghoul's best friend.”
- “I’m here to lift your spirits.”
- “My favorite day is Fright-day.”
- “Are you a ghost? Because you look like my boo!”
- “No time to be boo-ring.”
- “Have you checked your horror-scope today?”
- “Let’s play hide and shriek.”
- “This is how I exorcise.”
- “I have no body to dance with.”
- “You like my mas-scare-a?”
- "The ghostess with the mostest."
- “"Romeo and Ghouliet."
- "I go to the bars for boos."
- “Do you get deja-boo when she’s with you?”
- “I’m like, literally dead.”
- “Just keepin’ it transparent with you.”
- “Hey ghoul hey!”
- “Ah, that’s the spirit.”
- “Guess you can say it’s a ghost town out there.”
- “Spare a thought for the ghost writers.”
You deserve emails that are actually fun — full of juicy celeb intel, astrology, helpful dating advice, and much more. Luckily, our newsletter will bring you all of that, well, daily.
This article was originally published on 10.13.18
What is Hamas, and why did it attack Israel now?
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described Hamas’s aim as the creation of a Palestinian state along the borders that existed before the 1967 war. Hamas does not recognize the existence of Israel and is committed to replacing it through armed struggle with a Palestinian state stretching from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River. In addition, an earlier version of this article inaccurately characterized Qatar's relationship with Hamas. Qatar works with Hamas to provide humanitarian assistance to civilians in the Gaza Strip, but it does not directly support the group. The article has been corrected.
Israel declared war against Hamas on Sunday, following a surprise attack by the Palestinian militant group based in Gaza that included the taking of civilian hostages at a music festival, where at least 260 bodies have been recovered. Israeli security forces, caught off guard, have pounded the Gaza Strip with retaliatory strikes, and U.S. officials said they expect Israel to soon launch a ground incursion into the enclave as violence escalates in the conflict-ridden region.
Israel is searching for more than 100 hostages, including Americans, believed to have been taken to Gaza by Hamas. President Biden labeled the actions of Hamas as “beyond the pale” in a speech Wednesday.
Since winning legislative elections in 2006, Hamas has repeatedly attacked Israel with rockets and mortars, emerging as a defiant adversary. Israel has retaliated with its superior firepower and a punishing blockade, restricting imports and the movement of civilians in a strategy of collective punishment. The blockade and recurring Israeli strikes have contributed to Gaza’s poor infrastructure and living conditions. Israel declared a full siege of the enclave on Monday, with Defense Minister Yoav Gallant promising “no electricity, no food, no fuel” and calling Hamas militants “savages.”
The Gaza Strip and its history, explained
Here’s what to know about Hamas and the latest violence .
President Biden warned that a new Israeli occupation of Gaza would be a “big mistake” as food and water supplies run dangerously low for Palestinian residents. Follow the latest news and live updates .
Hostages: Israeli officials say Hamas militants abducted about 200 hostages in a highly organized attack on Israel . Among those abducted from their homes or seized from a music festival are a mother, her two young daughters , a restaurant manager and a DJ. Here’s what we know about the hostages taken from Israel .
Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Here is a timeline of the decades-old conflict and what to know about the more recent violence in Israel and Gaza . The Hamas -controlled Gaza Strip has a complicated history , and its rulers have long been at odds with the Palestinian Authority , the U.S.-backed government in the West Bank.
Americans killed: At least 30 U.S. citizens have been killed. Here’s what we know about how the United States is getting involved in the Israel-Gaza war and how other foreign nationals were affected .
Number of 'ghost hotels' in Toronto contributing to housing crisis, surging prices, critics say
City data analysis shows more than 600 short-term rentals across 3 downtown condo buildings.
Advocates say short-term rentals listed on Airbnb are showing up in some Toronto condo buildings in concerning numbers, contributing to the deterioration of local neighbourhoods and the surge in rental prices.
A new analysis of City of Toronto data by non-profit advocacy group Fairbnb Canada found that 600 short-term rentals, also known as STRs, are located within three condo buildings alone.
The group's executive director, Thorben Wieditz, says it raises concerns over whether these units are operating as "ghost hotels" without being zoned or taxed that way.
"We see homes that have been planned, approved and built as residential units being converted into hotel use, you know, at a time when it's very difficult for people to find a place that is accessible and affordable," said Wieditz.
"Once people start buying up, leasing up housing stock to turn it into hotel units, that's when we see these issues and that's what impacts ... neighborhood cohesion, neighborhood feel, but also obviously the housing market."
Airbnb hosts vs. renters: a tough conversation about the housing crisis
While the numbers may seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the overall housing stock, Wieditz says every unit counts during a housing crisis when the city's vacancy rate is high. And with rentals becoming increasingly prevalent in local housing markets , creating new opportunities for tourists and an additional revenue stream for some homeowners — the growth has also renewed concerns about the financialization of housing.
That's why the advocacy group is pushing for the city to look into whether property management companies or hosts in the listed buildings are inaccurately declaring their units to be primary residences in order to qualify for the city's short-term rental permit – only to convert the units into dedicated commercial rentals.
"Losing housing stock to platforms like Airbnb is a big problem, [it] contributes to housing cost increases, rent increases. It makes life more unaffordable for people who need to live and work in certain areas," Wieditz said.
- Stuck. Many Torontonians say they're clinging to affordable rental units and fearing what comes next
- According to a new report, you're likely paying more in rent due to the increase in short-term rentals
The City of Toronto's open data portal, which now includes addresses and unit numbers of all registered STRs, shows the top three condos with the highest number of units are the Harbourfront ICE condos at 12 and 14 York Street with 236 units, 300 Front Street W., with 195 units and the Parade Towers at 15 and 21 Ice Boat Terr with 166 units.
Another neighbourhood Fairbnb highlights that is densely populated with STRs is Spadina-Fort York with 2,058 units – taking up about one-third of Airbnb's total inventory in Toronto.
Stricter regulations won't solve housing crisis: Airbnb
In a statement to CBC Toronto, Airbnb spokesperson says at a time when many are facing an affordability crisis, short-term rentals provide hosts the chance to earn additional income
"Short-term rentals also bring an influx of visitors, often to areas outside the downtown core, that help bring tourism spending to businesses in every corner of the city," said Airbnb Canada policy manager Alex Howell.
"The reality is, stricter short-term rental regulations will not solve the housing crisis in the city, but what they will do is take income away from those that need it, and visitor spending away from communities."
Howell added that it is ultimately up to the city to verify listings and enforce bylaws.
"The City has the tools they need to ensure hosts are in compliance."
Serena Purdy, chair of community group Friends of Kensington Market, says the neighbourhood has lost a sense of community as a result of the increasing amount of STRs.
"We just started hearing construction noises and seeing units become smaller and smaller and seeing our long-term neighbours not be replaced by long-term people," she said.
Purdy says overtime, she has noticed fewer and fewer permanent neighbours — instead, more combination lock boxes, digital locks and more visitors staying in the area.
- Toronto landlord launches $1.6M lawsuit after city gave stranger approval to rent her condo on Airbnb
- Toronto landlord found condo listed on Airbnb by someone who wasn't her tenant. She blames lax city rules
In 2020, the city brought in new regulations that allowed owners to only rent out their primary residence on short-term rental sites – a move that was meant to ensure homes, condos and apartments aren't funnelled off into the short-term rental market as investment properties, instead of being available for Torontonians to rent long-term.
While those rules were meant to help crack down on the market, Purdy says they did not have the desired outcome.
City to hold public consultations, re-evaluate bylaw
Gord Perks, Parkdale-High Park councillor and the chair of the planning and housing committee, says regulating operators has been a challenge for the city.
"The operators and a lot of the people who are renting their places out are using every trick in the book to evade our regulatory framework," Perks told CBC Toronto.
Currently, the city has assigned nine bylaw officers to monitor short-term rental operations. In an email to CBC Toronto, the city said a total of 22 charges have been laid since September this year, and more than 1,100 complaints have been made to the city.
"Even if we had 1,000 bylaw officers, the way the company has been behaving and the really awkward tools we're allowed to use under provincial law means getting convictions is really hard," Perks said.
"We've gotta first, I think, tighten up some of those bylaws, tighten up the reporting requirements, get the company to do a better job of being a good actor here, and then I think we'll see more success."
The city will hold public consultations on Oct. 17 and 24 to evaluate the implementation of the bylaw, examine its progress and identify areas for improvement.
With files from Patrick Swadden
- CBC Explains Canadians are being crushed by a housing crisis. Are short-term rentals to blame?
- PlayStation 5
- PlayStation VR2
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation Store
- PlayStation Plus
- Portuguese (Br)
- Spanish (LatAm)
- Spanish (EU)
- Traditional Chinese
PS5 cloud streaming launches this month for PlayStation Plus Premium members
Streaming access includes supported PS5 titles on Game Catalog, Game Trials and purchases from PS Store.
Since launching the all-new PlayStation Plus more than a year ago, we’ve seen such high engagement from our fans on our offerings – from the quality titles offered in the Game Catalog like Horizon Forbidden West and Sea of Stars, to new trophy features we’ve added to classic games like Legend of Dragoon and Syphon Filter.
Today we have more details to share about PS5 cloud streaming for PlayStation Plus Premium members. Starting this month, we will begin launching cloud streaming access for supported PS5 digital titles within the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog* and Game Trials*, as well as supported titles in the PS5 game library that PlayStation Plus Premium members own.
Select PS5 games will be available for streaming, and we’re planning to have hundreds of PS5 titles to support this new benefit. This includes:
● Top PS5 hits from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog*, such as Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, Mortal Kombat 11, and Saints Row IV
● Game Trials* for PS5 games, such as Hogwarts Legacy, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and The Calisto Protocol
● Additional PS5 digital titles PlayStation Plus Premium members own that will be available for streaming, such as Resident Evil 4, Dead Island 2, Genshin Impact, Fall Guys, and Fortnite
Download the image
These are just a few examples of supported PS5 games that will include a cloud streaming option, in addition to download.
PS5 cloud streaming is exclusively available on the PS5 console at launch. Without having to download a game, players can access PS5 game streaming with their PlayStation Plus Premium membership. Additionally, PlayStation Plus Premium members will also see features available with the new PS5 streaming benefit, including:
● Downloadable content and in-game purchases will be available for PS5 game streaming, including DLC and add-ons – similar to purchases from downloadable games.
● High quality resolution options** , including 4K, 1440p, 1080p, and 720p, with 60 FPS and SDR or HDR output.
● Enhanced audio with support for all PS5 audio capabilities including 5.1 and 7.1 as well as Tempest 3D Audiotech.
● Capture screenshots and record up to 3 minutes of video , which will be downloaded to your Media Gallery on PS5 and also available in the Media Gallery on PS App
Since this will be a large undertaking for our teams to roll out, we plan to launch regionally through a phased approach. Here are the launch dates we are currently targeting in local times:
● Japan – targeting October 17
● Europe – targeting October 23
● North America – targeting October 30
Cloud streaming through PlayStation Plus Premium is currently available in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.
We hope players will enjoy this new PS5 streaming feature that will be automatically added to their PlayStation Plus Premium membership. We’ll continue to focus on evolving the features and benefits for PlayStation Plus, so there’s more to look forward to.
*Availability of titles varies by region and plan. See https://www.playstation.com/Plus for details and updates on PlayStation Plus offerings. PlayStation Plus is an ongoing subscription subject to a recurring subscription fee taken automatically (at the then-current PS Store price) at the frequency you choose at purchase until cancellation. Terms apply: play.st/psplus-usageterms
**Requires minimum internet speed of 5mbps, 15 mbps for 1080p and 38 mbps+ for 4K.
Did you like this? Like this
Share this story
Join the Conversation
But don't be a jerk!
Please be kind, considerate, and constructive. Report inappropriate comments to [email protected]
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
New look for PS5 console this holiday season
Sid Shuman (he/him) Senior Director, SIE Content Communications
PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for October: The Callisto Protocol, Farming Simulator 22, Weird West
Adam Michel Director, Content Acquisition & Operations, SIE
Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles; exclusive benefits including early access to select Sony Pictures films
Evan Stern Sr Director, Global Marketing
PlayStation Plus Game Catalog for October: Gotham Knights, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut, The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes
Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition is coming to PS5 and PC
Mathijs de Jonge Game Director, Guerrilla
How Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 taps into the power of PS5
Tim Turi (he/him) Content Communications Manager, SIE
Fly the PS VR2-powered skies of Project Wingman: Frontline 59, out today
Abi Rahmani Lead Developer, Sector D2
Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition arrives Oct 6 on PS5 — bringing the characters to life
Narae Lee Senior Community Manager, Guerrilla
Please enter your date of birth.
Sorry, you may not access this content..
NY Bill Would Require Background Checks to Buy 3D Printers, Attempts to Target Ghost Guns
The bill is in early stages in committee.
A recently-submitted bill in the New York State assembly would require anyone who buys a 3D printer to undergo a criminal background check which could take up to 15 days to complete. Sponsored by Assemblymember Jenifer Rajkumar, bill A8132 would target any "three-dimensional printer sold in this state, which is capable of printing a firearm, or any components of a firearm" and require retailers in the state to request a criminal history from the state's division of criminal justice services. According to the text of the bill, the commissioner of criminal justice services will have up to 15 days to review the purchaser's criminal history and decide if they can buy the printer.
While the goal of bill A8132 seems to be preventing the manufacture of so-called ghost guns — unregistered firearms made at home — it actually would restrict the sale of pretty much any consumer 3D printer in the state. The firearm enthusiast publication Gun Digest gives the very popular Creality Ender 3 V2 its highest recommendation for firearm printing and it also recommends the Prusa i3 MK3S+. Both of those are bedslinger-style FDM printers so, if you could print a gun with them, you could print a gun with any 3D printer.
The law says "For purposes of this section, 'three-dimensional printer' means a computer or computer-driven machine or device capable of producing a three-dimensional object from a digital model." The word "producing" here is also vague as the best laser cutters can also create 3D objects from digital models.
For better or worse, 3D printing the parts to put together a gun isn't particularly difficult. There are a slew of 3D model files online you can get for free and output in standard filaments such as PLA or ABS. However, guns that can withstand being fired more than a couple of times usually require some metal parts that can't be 3D printed (unless you have a very pricey metal 3D printer).
Bill A8132 is still in committee and may never make it to a floor vote, let alone becoming law. (The bill is currently open to comments.) However, if it was passed as currently written, buying a 3D printer in New York State would be much more difficult, and likely more expensive too. Imagine walking up to the counter at Micro Center with your new B ambu Lab P1S and being told that you have to fill out a form, show ID and wait for your background check to clear. It could drive makers and tinkerers to surrounding states, like New Jersey and Connecticut. According to the text of the law, you could be waiting up to 15 days to find out whether you can take your printer home.
It's also unclear how much these background checks would cost consumers. In New York, gun dealers may charge a fee of up to $10 per transaction for their required background checks.
Bill A8132 isn't the first proposed New York law to target 3D printed guns. Back in May, Assemblymember Linda B. Rosenthal introduced Bill A7489 , which makes it illegal to manufacture ghost guns or to distribute the 3D models for them. This bill is still in committee and doesn't restrict the sale of 3D printers. State Senator Brad Hoylman-Sigal introduced the same law in the senate as Bill S7364 . Those laws are also backed by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg, Jr. , who framed them as part of "comprehensive anti-gun legistlation."
Stay on the Cutting Edge
Join the experts who read Tom's Hardware for the inside track on enthusiast PC tech news — and have for over 25 years. We'll send breaking news and in-depth reviews of CPUs, GPUs, AI, maker hardware and more straight to your inbox.
Bambu Lab A1 Mini Review: Color for Beginners
Best Budget 3D Printers 2023: High-Quality Output on the Cheap
Nvidia RTX 4090 Prices Have Been Creeping Upward
- Kamen Rider Blade The Big 3D Printers Consortium is going to put a kibosh on that. No way are they going to let legislature get in the way of their business. Reply
- RandomWan NYC, ever addressing the wrong end of the problem. Someone might want to inform them than building guns at home has always remained legal, even with the illegal laws the federal government has passed. Reply
- btmedic04 The Peoples Republic of New York going after 3d printers now? Color me shocked. Shocked I say! /sarcasm Reply
- thisisaname Do you need a background check to buy a gun in NYC? This would require any 3D printer to need a background check as a trigger guard is part of a gun and could be printed on any 3D printer. Reply
RandomWan said: NYC, ever addressing the wrong end of the problem. Someone might want to inform them than building guns at home has always remained legal, even with the illegal laws the federal government has passed.
- COLGeek Lets not stray from the tech aspect of the article, please. Thanks. Reply
- bigdragon You can build 3D printers out of parts acquired from a variety of sources. Conducting background checks on fully assembled 3D printers for sale will have zero impact on ghost guns. The collateral damage that would result from this background check law outweighs any sort of societal benefit. How about NY treat the root problem for a change? NY needs to stop treating mental health as a taboo subject or unrelated to criminal vs civilian gun crimes. Stop trying to make people feel good or think you're getting something done and actually do something impactful! Reply
- COLGeek This thread has run its course, folks. Thank you. Reply
- View All 8 Comments
By Andrew E. Freedman October 16, 2023
By Paul Alcorn October 16, 2023
By Ash Hill October 15, 2023
By Anton Shilov October 15, 2023
By Mark Tyson October 15, 2023
By Mark Tyson October 14, 2023
By Ash Hill October 14, 2023
By Anton Shilov October 14, 2023