- Reads Reads 146,571 146,571 146K
- Votes Votes 2,634 2,634 2.6K
- Parts Parts 22 22 22
- Time Time 22h 5m 22 hours, 5 minutes 22h 5m
- Chapter 1: "......." Tue, Feb 2, 2021
- Chapter 2: "Judgement" Tue, Feb 2, 2021
- Chapter 3: "Not A Sacred Gear, Persona" Wed, Feb 3, 2021
- Chapter 4: "She can stay" Sat, Feb 6, 2021
- Chapter 5: "Yield" Mon, Feb 8, 2021
- Chapter 6: "My Old Enemy" Sat, Feb 20, 2021
- Chapter 7: "I Will Help You" Wed, Feb 24, 2021
- Chapter 8: "Promise Me" Thu, Feb 25, 2021
- Chapter 9: I am Human Sat, Feb 27, 2021
- Chapter 10: "The Wild Card" Sun, Feb 28, 2021
- Chapter 11: "The Knights Templar" Fri, Mar 5, 2021
- Chapter 12: "You Dare Speak His Name, Mortal" Fri, Apr 30, 2021
- Chapter 13: "Go" Wed, Jul 14, 2021
- Chapter 14: "Not our rules. Not our laws. Not our judgment to make" Fri, Jul 16, 2021
- Chapter 15: "Have you died before!?" Sat, Jul 17, 2021
- Chapter 16: "And try to kill me." Sun, Jul 18, 2021
- Chapter 17: "Hello Brother" Sat, Jul 24, 2021
- Chapter 18: "I am Coming For You" Tue, Jul 27, 2021
- Chapter 19: "Fifty Shades Of Nephilim" Sun, Aug 29, 2021
- Chapter 20: "Stop Saying That" Sun, Jan 2, 2022
- Chapter 21: Different Sat, Dec 3, 2022
- Chapter 22: "Master of Fate" Tue, Jul 4, 2023
Get notified when Demon Among Devils is updated
If you already have an account, Log in.
Characters / A Demon Among Devils
Zero-Context Example entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.-->
open/close all folders
The Male Protagonist from the Persona 3 series and the main Protagonist of A Demon Among Devils. After an unspecified amount of time after the end of Persona 3 Minato, after becoming the seal between Nyx and Erebeus, finds himself suddenly freed one day under unknown circumstances in a world like his own but not at the same time. Confused, but ultimately accepting, he goes on to build a simple life for himself in this new world, but supernatural elements slowly begin to reveal themselves in his life once more and Minato finds himself slowly drawn into a new conflict…
- Adaptational Badass : As noted in the main page, Minato is significantly made much stronger here than in the original game. At one point Minato internally notes a Nihil weapon fused with a middling Persona can penetrate through an entire length of a Tartarus floor , and that isn't even anywhere near his more powerful Personae, whom he described as quite literal Physical Gods who can shatter worlds with little effort. Note that this is before he finished his Journey and thus his current state at the beginning of the fanfic. In the original materials, the only times Persona 3 Protagonist could conceivably demonstrate this level of strength are the manga version of the final battle , or after acquiring the Universe Arcana .
- Afraid of Their Own Strength : Minato acknowledges that he's afraid that, having so much power and influence, if he makes a wrong decision the world will pay for it. Because of this he tried to stay out of the way initially. Sirzechs talks him out of it, saying that you just have to try your best, and make up for any mistakes you do make.
- All-Loving Hero : Sacrificing himself to save humanity aside, he will offer help and mercy to even his enemies if he sees they truly need it. As he notes, protecting the good parts of humanity also means he has to shelter the bad parts of humanity.
- All-Powerful Bystander : This is what Minato planned on being, until he realized that being a bystander nearly caused The End of the World as We Know It back home, after which he immediately turns his stance around.
- Bag of Spilling : Inverted. He has his entire arsenal of old Persona, fully evolved, from the original game and is even stated to have new Persona that weren't available to him in Persona 3 who were drawn to him due to how powerful his Arcana is. He also still has his Evoker. Played straight for his actual physical combat abilities, where he admits that months of no battles has dulled his senses.
- He also doesn't like Apathy, seeing it as the bane of mankind. Those who have the power to do something and do nothing when good people suffer ticks him off.
- Catchphrase : He tends to have some variation of "I do not judge, I merely accept"
- Celibate Hero : Minato has no interest in forming romantic relationships, partly because he hasn't gotten closure over losing Mitsuru yet. That said, he's certainly not chaste and is fully capable of appreciating beautiful women.
- Chick Magnet : It's mentioned that he pretty much made all the female members of SEES fall for him inadvertently while working on their social links and only intentionally got romantically involved with Mitsuru. In story he also has Rias, who is openly in love with him, Raynare, who is at least possessive of him (full-blown and openly in love with him after she ascends again) and Akeno, who is at least interested.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome : Will often go out of his way to help anyone he sees in need due as a result of seeing the truth about Nyx and Erebeus. Noticeably enough, he actually sees this as a flaw of his, especially due to his difficulty in reconciling his desire to keep his power hidden out of fear of the consequences .
- Composite Character : Downplayed. This version of Minato follows the events of FES, meaning Chidori survived , but just like his female version, he managed to save Shinjiro as well, saying he was put into a coma instead of being outright dead.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower : He generally tries to keep the more showy displays of his Persona a secret so as not to attract attention. This finally stops when he ultimately decides to summon Belial to finish off Riser after coming to admire Rias and seeing her ready to give up during the Rating Game knowing full well what the consequences would be.
- Deadpan Snarker : Though for the most part he doesn't actually vocalize them, several of Minato's thoughts are rather sarcastic to say the least. Raynare once remarked that it was difficult to tell when Minato was being serious or sarcastic.
- During the Khaos Brigade's assault on the peace conference, Minato at full strength could have arguably turned the entire battle around by himself, so when Minato is faced by the Hero Faction he is already mentally exhausted from summoning too many Persona beforehand.
- Heroic Neutral : Originally did his best to keep himself out of the affairs between the Three Great Factions, however he will willingly help out people who need it and will go to hell and back for people who he considers worthy of protection regardless of any consequences to himself.
- Honorary True Companion : Minato isn't a member of the Occult Research Club or Rias' peerage, and he'd rather not be in the spotlight if he can help it, yet he'll jump in to help time and time again. Of course, the club considers him as much a part of the team as the rest of them, and Minato slowly finds himself making a powerful new bond here, just like with SEES.
- I Am Not Left-Handed : Given how incredibly powerful and varied his skillset is, practically every battle he's been in involves him holding back a substantial amount of power.
- I Don't Want to Die : When making his sacrifice to seal away Nyx and Erebeus, Minato admits that this was his last thought before going through with it.
- I Just Want to Be Normal : According to his Persona Uriel, Minato's greatest dream is to simply live an ordinary life with his parents and to spend time with his friends and the woman he loves for the remainder of his natural life.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness : Can allow Archdemons into his mind without allowing their corruption to affect his actions. Note that this goes both ways as he is similarly unaffected by summoning Archangels.
- Lemony Narrator : Whenever he engages in Implausible Deniability and Blatant Lies . It doesn't come often, but when it does, he tends to bring laughs as well.
- Major Injury Underreaction : Having his chest and heart incinerated by Raynare only prompts his to stick his arm through the hole and mentally remark on what a gruesome wound it was. In general, since he's almost completely immortal and can regenerate from almost any damage given time he tends to be rather blasé about being injured.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now : Is hacked to pieces by the Hero Faction to the point where his entire body is mutilated but is no closer to dying then if he were in perfect health.
- No-Sell : His vast arsenal of spells allow him to do this against most attacks with ease. Case in point, in chapter 22 he nullifies lightning, fire, piercing attacks, bladed attacks, kinetic strikes and even being frozen in time.
- Not So Above It All : Overlapping with Not So Stoic , in chapter 21 when Issei kicks him in the shin during an exhibition match between him and Rias's peerage, he shoots Issei in the shin right back with Megido and then he gets into a fairly childish argument with Issei about proper etiquette in duels.
- Odd Friendship : With Issei . Notably, they knew each other before Issei became a devil, though the friendship was mostly one-sided from Issei at that point. It's later when Minato surprises himself when he realizes that he has come to consider Issei a friend.
- One-Man Army : Incredibly skilled and powerful on his own, can summon powerful Personae that are a One-Man Army in their own right, and in a pinch can actually manifest his OWN army of demons, angels and heroes, like he did against Nyx.
- Only Sane Man : Is generally left rather nonplussed by some of the more bizarre things he see's in the High School D�D universe.
- Heroic RRoD : Doing so too many times too soon, will have this effect on him.
- The Quiet One : Often listens to people and generally only speaks for clarification or if he has an important point to make.
- Red Baron : Is called a "Nephillim" in story by Angels and Demons alike.
- Shipper on Deck : He helps Asia and Koneko get together with Issei.
- Not So Stoic : Some of the more absurd things he experiences can crack his mask. Or things that hit his Berserk Button .
- Super-Reflexes : If he equips a fast persona he borrows their reflexes. Even without a persona equipped, he could catch falling drinks before other devils can blink and set them down.
- What the Hell Are You? : Minato has gotten this reaction from the Fallen Angels and members of the 72 Pillars after they see his ability to summon Persona's in action, not in the least because of how the Persona's summoned are famous beings from each of their legends, that some of whom should, by all rights, already be dead. Both times, members of each faction eventually come to the conclusion that he is Nephilim.
- Wild Card : Being the actual Wild Card aside , Sirzechs and several of the 72 Pillars see Minato's presence in their world as this in the interplay between the Three Factions. Minato himself is aware of this, knowing that the amount of power he has means he tilts the balances inordinately almost no matter what he does which is the primary reason he initially tried to keep under the radar.
- Yin-Yang Bomb : According to Diehauser, this is what it means to be a Nephillim. Someone who wields the powers of both Angels and Demons whilst being affected by neither.
Minato's Personae I Am Thou, And Thou Art I
- Adaptational Badass : Much like Minato himself. Persona games heavily imply Personae are representations of archetypes in the collective unconscious, and Persona users make an approximation made based on personal experiences and interpretation. As such, Personae don't, in fact, take things literally (as there can exist many versions of the same Persona), and their powers depend solely on their users. Put another way, whether or not a Persona user can recreate feats of legends and myths depend entirely on the spiritual strength and knowledge of their owner, and most human Persona users usually lack the raw power necessary to do so (without The Power of Friendship , anyway).
- Capital Letters Are Magic : While legendary humans speak with a regular font, so far dragons and divine entities speak with capitals on every word (or in the case of angels, when they are Projecting). In the case of the hammier or more demonic ones, they use All Caps .
- Composite Character : The Personae in Minato's Sea of Souls came from his old world, but upon arriving in the D×D world, they gain the knowledge and experiences of their counterparts here.
- Gender Bender : As it turns out, when Minato had a short stint as a girl, all of his personae reversed gender as well.
- Guardian Entity : What the Persona act as, practically speaking.
- Large Ham : Virtually all of the introduced Personae (who actually speak) inevitably begin with a long Badass Boast typed completely in bold and aligned to the center. Since they are actual mythological legends, the effect tends comes across as genuinely awe-inspiring rather than overdone. The Archangels at least, are capable of speaking normally; Uriel describes this mode as "projecting" which they use for intimidation but not normal conversation since they would sound like shouting all the time .
- Literal-Minded : Personae always take things literally. It's why they're so powerful; their myths may seem exaggerated, but with them, the exaggerations are most certainly real. It also means they don't really know about rhetorical questions.
- Morality Pet : Many of Minato's personae would be utterly evil and, in the case of the angels, morally questionable , if not for Minato making the final decisions for them. He was affronted. The very idea. They didn't tell him what to do. They suggested . There was a difference.
- Summon Magic : What Minato's ability to call them forth looks like. It's even at first mistaken for a Sacred Gear that allows summoning by the devils who don't know what it actually is.
- Wrong Context Magic : So far everyone, from Fallen Angels to the average Devils to their clan heads and even to the Great Satans, have no idea what or how Minato can do what he does without being told. As far as they're concerned he is capable of summoning actual Archangels and Archdemons to do his bidding. Even after being told his ability is called Persona, it's obvious that none of them can make heads or tails of how his ability actually works. This is understandable considering he's from another world and in one chapter Minato outright notes to himself about how Persona don't exist in the High School D�D world.
- Adaptational Personality Change : Metatron in the original D×D novel is a ninja otaku. Compare that to this no-nonsense, solemn "Voice of God."
- Awesomeness Is a Force : The light he emits passively is great enough on its own to spontaneously combust lesser Fallen Angels who get too close to him.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution : Metatron is capable of pulling this off at will, literally summoning bolts of light from heaven in the form of a Storm of Blades .
- Cool Mask : The only face he has.
- Michael states the same Metatron would've lead all of the angels to a glorious, wondrous final assault on the Devils and the Fallen . The Persona Metatron agrees and deconstructs that by saying it would've been the last thing they'd ever do. Wondrous or not, they'd all be dead.
- Good is Not Nice : Stern and inflexible when it comes to the rules laid down by God, but ultimately a force for good.
- Light 'em Up : Apart from the Fire of Sinai, Metatron fights mainly with his light, which he doesn't even need to manipulate to burn his enemies .
- Playing with Fire : The sole wielder of the Fires of Sinai, flames which burn its victims down to the very soul.
- Rank Scales with Asskicking : The most powerful Archangel in Heaven. The D×D version needed an army of champions from both the Demon and Fallen Angel factions to be defeated during the Great War.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Though harsh and unyielding, he is capable of mercy and will give chances to those he considers still redeemable and even for those he doesn't, if they manage to surprise him he'll welcome them back as well.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever : Huge dragon, do the math.
- Berserk Button : The idea of anyone being handed power on a silver platter greatly enrages him. Seeing as he himself grew powerful through a long and painful process of feeding from Yggdrasil and throwing away his very identity and nature , this is understandable. It's also why he fights his D×D counterpart. The real dragon was granted healing power, becoming a servant to someone else rather than rely on his own power.
- Dragon Of Mass Destruction : A single breath from him completely freezes everything within a kilometre of him, and the mere act of unfolding his wings creates hurricanes of wind.
- Fusion Dance : As with the case of all high-level Personae, he was created through the fusion of several others and retained their skills, which is how he knew Samarecarm to heal mortal wounds.
- Healing Hands : Knows Samarecarm, one of the highest-level healing spells in the Persona series.
- An Ice Dragon : After devouring the roots of Yggdrasil and enduring its harsh coldness and darkness, his nature as a fire drake was corroded and he now commands ice. The Realms of Men Learned That Day That Ice Burns Just As Well As Fire .
- Other Me Annoys Me : He wasn't fond of the Nidhogg that attacked the peace conference, seeing him as a traitor to himself.
- Power at a Price : Gaining power from Yggdrasil took its toll on him, transforming him from a fire drake into what he is now. He considered the process well worth the price to defeat Ddraig, but when he was finally done with it and found Ddraig had already been sealed away by someone else, well ...
- Power-Up Full Color Change : His scales change from red to black with white flecks after devouring the roots of the World Tree.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech : Derides Issei for throwing himself into battles that he has no chance of winning. Against his D×D counterpart, the Persona calls him out on getting power from Ophis as not only did he not earn it, but Ophis would upset the natural balance which the dragons were supposed to uphold, ultimately betraying himself.
- Shout-Out : Some of his lines are copied right from Smaug .
- Took a Level in Badass : After being defeated several times by Ddraig, he flew to his ancestor's homeland and ate from Yggdrasil to gain the power to finally defeat Ddraig.
- Training from Hell : It's pretty much stated devouring the roots of Yggdrasil was a long and agonizing process for him.
- Worthy Opponent : Considers Ddraig to be this, having never managed to beat him.
- You Can't Fight Fate : Believes both he and the rest of the dragons were nothing more than pawns on the board called Fate and their time has long passed, leaving the world on the shoulders of beings which by all rights were inferior to them.
- All Caps : In contrast to Metatron and pretty much all other Personae introduced before him, Belial speaks like this.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever : In sheer height at least, he dwarfs even Nidhogg.
- Bad Boss : Outright called this by Minato. MEETINGS WHERE A LORD DID NOT LOSE HALF HIS FOLLOWERS WERE CONSIDERED BORING.
- The Dreaded : In this continuity, Belial was one of the Underworld's greatest champions, widely feared by Angels and Fallen Angels alike.
- No-Sell : Tanks and walks through Riser's blast of fire like nothing.
- Person of Mass Destruction : His mere presence is the equivalent of a volcano erupting and a single Maragidyne from him is enough to reduce the entire simulated Kuoh Academy into a sea of flames.
- Playing with Fire : He is pretty much a walking, flying, talking, and towering mass of fire.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner : THEY SAY THE TEARS OF A PHOENIX HEALS ALL WOUNDS. BY THE TIME I AM DONE WITH YOU, IT WILL HAVE NO MORE TEARS LEFT TO SHED
- Rank Scales with Asskicking : One of the original 72 Demon Pillars of Ars Goetia. The D×D counterpart of him was said to be unstoppable in all the battles he participated in, up until he went against Metatron who fought him to a standstill and defeated him at last.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech : Delivers one to Riser in between chasing him down, mocking him for his arrogance and showing just how helpless he was compared to the real heavy hitters.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting : Belial appeared in a vaguely humanoid form during the Peace conference, but he is still much larger than normal humans.
- Berserk Button : If you ever want to see why he's considered the angel of retribution, simply claim you sinned, committed blasphemy, heresy or sacrilege in the name of God. Go on, I dare you .
- Beware the Nice Ones : Don't let his affable nature fool you, when it comes to punishing heretics he is one of the most merciless angels out there, especially if you push his Berserk Button .
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer : Rather laid back and gregarious for an angel tasked to punish sinners.
- The Gadfly : Not above playfully messing around with devils, demons and basically everybody.
- Light 'em Up : Not his main form of attack, but as an Archangel he is still nonetheless capable of this, as demonstrated when he fully manifests to curb-stomp a legion of Fallen Angels.
- Nice Guy : Will happily chat with and act graciously towards devils so long as they are considered decent people by Minato, though he still considers them blasphemous.
- Playing with Fire : To the point where he can form a bright, burning BFS with it.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever : Though she's not actually as large as Nidhogg.
- The Dreaded : Played for Laughs , Ddraig seems to be utterly terrified of her to the point where he immediately told Issei to run away when she's summoned even though he had no problem with Issei fighting Nidhogg. A popular fan theory is that Tiamat is Ddraig's jilted ex , which was somewhat confirmed in Chapter 18.
- Shock and Awe : Stated as much by Fafnir, who noted she is capable of summoning thunderous storms with her ire.
- Training from Hell : While she admits she wants to avenge herself on Ddraig, she takes to time to train Issei (read: beat the shit out of him) and allows him to learn to how to manifest some of her power in the form of an Arm Cannon .
- Woman Scorned : Towards Ddraig. They dated back then. It didn't end well. Fafnir outright calls her this.
- Adaptational Personality Change : In Persona 3 , Thanatos is born from the protagonist's bond with Pharos. This story treats Death/Pharos/Ryoji and the Persona Thanatos as one in the same.
- Anthropomorphic Personification : Of Death. To be more specific, an aspect of the embodiment of Death known as Nyx, he in particular represents hatred against life and murderous intent.
- Awesomeness Is a Force : Simply summoning him shatters all the windows around him, turns the sky green (just like the Dark Hour) and causes the lesser Fallen Angels who are too close to him to explode by the sheer force of his movements.
- Badass Boast : His entrance shatters windows into dust just from the force. He never talks, but he really doesn't need to .
- Death Is Cheap : Is capable of summoning the souls of the recently deceased. Only the soul, so Minato has to invoke other Personae if he wants to make a full resurrection. His presence in Minato's Sea of Souls is also one-half of the reason why he is nigh-unkillable, apart from the Universe Arcana.
- Due to the Dead : Thanatos inherently hates the living, but he respects and values the dead. It's why he cradles Raynare's soul before Minato brings her back to life.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response : Nobody except Minato prefers to be around him. A legion of Fallen Angels, all of whom are Defiant to the End against 7 Archangels, choose to run rather than confront Thanatos.
- Grim Reaper : He's been hunting life since his creation and will reap Fallens, Humans, and everything else so long as it lives.
- Physical God : One of the more powerful Personae Minato could summon, with powers over life and death. Even Belial begrudgingly acknowledges how much of a powerhouse Thanatos is. NOTHING STOPS DEATH .
- Screaming Warrior : The only difference is pitch and volume.
- The Unintelligible : Seems incapable of coherent speech, though Minato understands every one of his intents and thoughts.
- White Mask of Doom : His face, which resembles the one on Nyx, his creator.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Dragon Hoard : Guards his own personal treasury, whom he collects and hoards from others.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny : His scales are coloured golden due to the time he spent constantly lying on his treasure hoard.
- Mighty Glacier : He's smaller than both Nidhogg or Tiamat but makes up for it by being built more heavily and being physically bulkier. He also doesn't have wings due to the eons he spent guarding his treasure causing them to atrophy away. His personal philosophy as a dragon also reflects this. A Dragon must Pair Unrelenting Offense with Impenetrable Defense. He must Sharpen His Claws as well as Harden His Hide. He must inflict Damaging Blows yet Take the Same without Flinching
- Single-Stroke Battle : By his own admission, he's faced Ddraig three times, and he was defeated each time with a single strike despite his sheer defense .
- Stone Wall : Although he certainly has excellent attack power, he admits his pride lies mostly on his defense more than anything else.
- Worthy Opponent : Despite wanting revenge against Ddraig (like many other dragons) for being defeated, Fafnir is completely sincere in his praise of Ddraig's power and determination and is the most open in expressing his admiration.
- Humans Are Flawed : His opinion on humans, and he is rather vocal about it.
- Klingon Promotion : Gained the position as a Great Satan under the name Lucifer after he defeated the original Satan with help from the original Leviathan, Beelzebub and Asmodeus.
- Pride : Appropriately enough, the catalyst for his fall was refusal to follow God's command of loving humanity like they would him due to his utter disdain for what he considered lesser beings.
- Retired Monster : Despite getting along reasonably well with Metatron and Belial, it's clear that he does not regret his past actions nor does he see anything he did as wrong.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Unreliable Narrator : When Helel states the events of how he fell and how Humans Are Flawed , Metatron immediately calls him out, pointing out he and the original Grigori were in the fact the ones who taught humanity expressly against God's commands to not interfere and that Helel had been subtly manipulating them into destroying themselves just to prove himself right.
- Worthy Opponent : It's implied he considered Satan to be this, seeing as Lucifer used Satan's name as a title as a way of honouring his predecessor.
- Anthropomorphic Personification : An aspect of Death much like Thanatos. Reaper in particular is the Harvester and Guardian of the dead.
- Bandaged Face : Bloody bandages at that!
- BFG : Dual wields two revolvers with extremely long barrels.
- Blood Knight : Its first appearance in the story has Minato summon him to project the soul of Akeno's late mother. His first reaction is disappointment at the fact he isn't instead reaping more souls.
- Chained by Fashion : Has two silver chains floating around him.
- Dead Person Conversation : It holds and remembers all the souls Death has taken, thus it can be utilized to call forth and communicate with the dead.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response : When Minato first summons it, it asks Akeno whether she fears Death. When she nods, Reaper is pleased at the response, calmly stating if she had said no, it would have made her to.
- Grim Reaper : Similar to, though not quite the same as Thanatos. Reaper harvests the souls delivered to Death, as well as their Guardian who remembers every single one of those claimed by it. However, it is still a Blood Knight who clearly enjoys killing.
- Mythology Gag : It's entire appearance is basically one to the infamous Superboss of Persona 3 and its sequels. Here, it is a Persona representing one of the many facets of Death.
- Badass Crew : It's noted that their individual members are already very powerful, especially for a relatively new Peerage.
- Minato notes that, more than any other peerage and more than anything else, the trust they have with each other is their greatest strength.
A High-Class Devil and the heiress to the Gremory Clan. Currently, a Third-Year of Kuoh Academy, she first notices Minato during a period where he would actively avoid her but her first real meeting with him was after he rescues her most recent servant, Issei from Fallen Angels. Intrigued by this stranger who commands a power he calls "Persona" her attempts to recruit him into her Peerage slowly leads to a burgeoning friendship, and perhaps more, as he slowly becomes more embroiled in the events that her peerage are involved in.
Her primary offensive ability in battle is her Power of Destruction. Inherited from the house of Bael, it is a powerful and almost living energy that annihilates anything it comes into contact with.
- Action Girl : She right on the front-line with her Peerage.
- Almost Kiss : Tries to shows her gratitude for Minato helping her out of her Arranged Marriage but he stops her due to him still not being over losing his First Love .
- Benevolent Boss : Is very kind, patient and reasonable with her peerage members.
- Berserk Button : Seeing someone hurt a member of her Peerage.
- Clingy Jealous Girl : She has a verbal sparring match against Raynare where each of them tries to one-up each other on things Minato has done for them. She is also visibly relieved when Minato turns down Sona's peerage offer.
- Covert Pervert : While Minato was unconscious for a few days from summoning too many Persona, Rias had to strip him down to take care of him and it's clear that she liked the experience. She also confiscates Issei's porn magazines containing models that Minato considered "acceptable" for "researching purposes."
- Glory Seeker : A very benign example but deep down Rias, like most devils, wants recognition for her deeds, partly motivated by a desire to move out of Sirzech's shadow and be seen as someone more than just the sister of Lucifer. Ultimately, this is also one of her motivations for fighting Nidhogg, albeit not the primary one.
- Good Is Not Soft : A nice and gentle person normally, she is still a devil and well versed in living in the Underworld society where power is held above all else. She has also shown to have very little mercy towards her enemies and has no qualms with killing them if they are at her mercy.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation : Although her great motherly affection for her Peerage allows her to form very strong bonds with them, they also tend to lead her to put herself down whenever they lose in matches or get injured due to her natural instincts to protect them even for things that are well outside her control. In the later chapters, despite all the praise and the celebration held in her honor, Rias only sees herself as a charlatan unable to do anything to help her Peerage when it counts and being convinced that her Peerage deserves a better leader than her.
- The Leader : Is the King of her Peerage.
- Crush Blush :… especially after she starts falling for him.
- A Mother to Her Men : Her leading style is to be open, friendly and compassionate towards her Peerage members. This allows her to grow very close to them and later allows her to help support each of her respective Peerage members cope in the aftermath of the Khaos Brigade's attack. Minato notes the contrast between her and Mitsuru who was more of a Sergeant Rock .
- Nice Girl : Pleasant, kind and selfless. She willingly offered Asia Peerage just to make her happy even though, at the time, she would have brought no advantages to her team (and did a similar thing with Kiba), and whilst trying to convince Minato to become a member of Peerage, largely kept the pressure of her Arranged Marriage a secret so that he wouldn't feel obligated to help her. This was one of the reasons why Minato considered her somebody worthy of protecting.
- Ojou : Beautiful, rich, graceful and refined. She is considered one of two great ladies of Kuoh Academy.
- Rescue Romance : Her feelings for Minato really come into the surface after he summons Belial to win her Rating Game match against Riser. Though it is hinted that she was already becoming fond of him even before that time.
- Ship Tease : Minato, obviously.
- So Proud of You : Though they were all ultimately defeated, Rias states that she was proud of how well everyone managed to fight together against Riser. This causes Minato to summon Belial and shift the battle far in the other direction .
- Occurs again, during the Rating Game against Riser when Minato is struck by the similar circumstances of Rias being in an arranged marriage just like Mitsuru. It's partly because of this that he decides to cut loose…
A seemingly ordinary highschool boy, Issei is a shameless and unrepentant pervert but is an extremely loyal and dedicated friend on top of that. Originally just one of many students at Kuoh Academy, that changed when he was killed and resurrected as a Devil by Rias Gremory. New to his life as a devil, he forms a friendship with Minato, often looking up to him or coming to him for advice or help.
He is in the holder of the legendary Boosted Gear, which holds the spirit of the Crimson Emperor Dragon Ddraig, one of the thirteen Longinus class Sacred Gears in the world with the power to double his power every ten seconds.
- All Your Powers Combined : Is starting to edge into this after beginning to train with Minato's dragon Persona, gaining the abilities of Tiamat and Fafnir. It's explicitly stated that the bonds he makes with Minato allow for him to manifest other dragon's powers through his Boosted Gear.
- Amplifier Artifact : Not only can Boosted Gear double Issei's own power every ten seconds he can also transfer that boost to others and increase their power as well.
- Wave-Motion Gun : …it becomes this after Issei fully charges it with Boosted Gear, but it can only be fired once before draining Issei of all his power .
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me : Manifests Fafnir's power in the form of a golden shield.
- Because You Were Nice to Me : In chapter 17, when we get a brief flashback to Issei and Minato's first meeting, it's implied that the reason Issei started hanging around him was due to Minato helping him out during one time he was being chased by pissed off girls.
- BFS : He was given Ascalon after the Siege of Kuoh Academy. Sadly, it broke after its first fight when Niddhog smashed it.
- Blood from Every Orifice : Suffers this when he begins using his very life force to keep Fafnir's shield up to protect Koneko from Nidhogg.
- Chivalrous Pervert : A pervert that will always treat girls kindly. When he actually starts getting female attention, he's at a loss at what to do.
- Combat Pragmatist : During his rematch against Minato instead of making a flashy boosted attack (like what Minato expected) he makes a boosted shin kick . It worked surprisingly well.
- When Issei asks Minato for advice on rescuing Asia and is told to be cautious he decides that he must be cautious about not letting Rias know he's planning on going against her orders and rescue Asia right away.
- Later, when he learns how Minato has lost his First Love , Issei realizes... that Minato was never interested in discussing harems because of his failed love with a single woman.
- When asking for romantic advice from Minato, after a particularly long-winded speech about girls being nice no matter the size of their boobs, Minato asks if he told her he liked her. He misconstrued it as whether or not he told her he liked her boobs, and then whether or not their size matters at all.
- Determinator : A trait that really stands out is Issei's absolute refusal to give up, often taking absurd amounts of punishment before being brought low.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten : Even after the battle, children claim he can never hit anything when discussing his action figure.
- Harem Seeker : His dream, which he declares very often. Minato privately notes how easily relationships can be destroyed and for feelings to be hurt when one person causes many people to fall for them but he doesn't hold it against Issei since he can recognize Issei's dream comes more from naiveté and ignorance then true selfishness.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me : Gender Inverted. As it turns out, despite how much he wants a harem Issei is well aware that he was considered a loser back when he was a human and thus has trouble believing that he could attract any girls. Minato helps him with this. See You Are Better Than You Think You Are below.
- Idiot Hero : He's not actually stupid and is actually quite cunning in battle, however he has a tendency to leap into situations without bothering to consider the consequences of his actions and often acts based on his emotions rather than logic.
- Nice Guy : He's pretty decent overall.
- Summon Magic : Due to how the Social Link system works, his bond with Minato allowed for him to summon Dragon Persona through a gate within the Boosted Gear. This is how he managed to summon Nidhogg.
- Superpower Lottery : Wielder of one of the Thirteen Longinus. Minato even compares Boosted Gear to the Wild Card in terms of ability.
- That Came Out Wrong : Several of his battle cries or exclamations in battle can come across as this, though Issei himself is debatably unaware of it. Often lampshaded. It eventually becomes a running gag.
- Training from Hell : Issei's idea of training is hurling himself into combat against Minato's dragon Persona (starting from the strongest ones!) so as to unlock more of Boosted Gear's latent abilities.
- Unskilled, but Strong : Thanks to Boosted Gear, when properly used, Issei has more raw power at his disposal than any other member of Rias's peerage. However, this is tempered by his ill experience with actually fighting and thus he does not necessarily use the power as efficiently as he can.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are : Minato tells Issei this after he questions why girls like Asia and Koneko would like someone like him. Minato frankly tells him that even though there may be people more attractive than him, they like him because he's him.
- You Remind Me of X : Minato compares his friendship with Issei to that of Junpei.
A nun who was excommunicated from the church after she unknowingly healed a devil. The possessor of Twilight Healing, a powerful Sacred Gear with the power to heal any wound or injury, she fell into the hands of Fallen Angels who killed her in a ritual designed to extract her Sacred Gear. Before this, she had befriended Issei who attempted to mount a rescue but was defeated only for them both to be saved by Minato. Seeing her fate, Minato partially revives her so as to allow her to choose her ultimate fate; to die as a human, or to live on as a devil in Rias's Peerage. She chooses the latter .
Her Sacred Gear is Twilight Healing, a pair of rings that allow her to heal any injury almost instantly, able to bring those near death back to perfect health and even regenerate lost limbs.
- Adaptational Badass : Twilight Healing is much more powerful here than in canon, able to regenerate lost limbs and heal effectively even at a distance. It has to be given how grievous the wounds others are given.
- Healing Hands
- Covert Pervert : Is becoming this as she becomes more worldly, just see Yaoi Fan Girl below.
- Dark and Troubled Past : Was once considered a holy priestess by the church, one day when she healed a devil without realizing it she was cast out and lost everything important to her in life and forced to seek refuge with the Fallen Angels.
- Shoot the Medic First : Shows off just how damaging this maneuver is in the Rating Game against Riser, where she's the first to be taken down, and afterwards the entire teams start falling one by one.
- Nice Girl : One of the sweetest characters in the fic.
- Plucky Girl : Smiles and accepts her fate after Minato explains that her current life will only last for a few more days.
- Rescue Romance : Though Issei doesn't actually succeed in rescuing her, Asia develops affection for him because of his efforts in trying to save her.
- Sadistic Choice : While it wasn't intentionally forced on her, she is forced to choose to either remain as a human, and thus die in a few days, or live on at the expense of losing her humanity and becoming a devil.
- Squishy Wizard : Par the normal for a Bishop, but fits this mold even better than most given that she has absolutely no offensive ability.
- Yaoi Fan Girl : When Akeno mentions boys loving boys, Asia thinks about the implications before turning red but mentions it gave her a good feeling while looking at Issei and Minato. She later discreetly buys a Boys Love novel about Minato and Issei.
The most popular boy at Kuoh Academy and the other male in Rias's peerage. Though initially wary towards Minato, he quickly develops a friendship and rapport with him once they begin to interact proper.
He is the wielder of Sword Birth. A Sacred Gear that allows him to manifest a variety of Demon Swords, each with its own properties. After the events of finding the pieces of Excalibur, he gains a new Sacred Gear, Blade Blacksmith that allows him to summon Holy Swords. By combining the two, and after undergoing a resolution of the heart, he gains the ability to create Nihil weapons.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade : Nihil Swords act like this with Kiba mentioning it cuts better than any other sword he's ever made.
- Cool Sword : The swords he creates and the two Excaliburs.
- Field of Blades : Sword Birth, allowing him to create Demon Swords. Later gets Blade Blacksmith, letting him do the same with Holy Swords. He gains the ability to create Nihil Weapons after his bond with Minato strengthens.
- Yin-Yang Bomb : By combining the effects of Sword Birth and Blade Blacksmith Kiba can create Nihil swords.
- Berserk Button : He really hates the idea of people being experimented on to create artificial magic users.
- Dark and Troubled Past : Was an orphan alongside many other children raised by the church who were secretly being experimented on to create artificial holy sword wielders. When the experiment was axed, the remaining children were gassed to death and Kiba was the only survivor. Afterwards, when he learned the true purpose of the experiments, he is forced to live with the knowledge that all of his friends had died for a failed experiment that didn't even create what it was meant to.
- Glass Cannon : Outright called by this by Minato. Once you take away their speed advantage, they don't have much defense left.
- Nice Guy : Is described as having an earnest manner and is the other half of what attracts fangirls aside from his looks.
- Only Sane Man : Kiba generally takes on this role whenever Minato isn't the focus.
- Relationship Upgrade : At some point it's revealed that he had hooked up with Tsubaki.
- Vengeance Feels Empty : Subverted. Though he initially admits that getting his revenge wasn't what he thought it would be like, Uriel tells him it was because he had simply fulfilled one purpose in his life and he could now move past it and find another.
- You Remind Me of X : Reminds Minato of Akihiko right down to having a fan following, though Kiba is more savvy when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex.
The long-time friend of Rias and the other great lady of Kuoh Academy. She was originally a half-human, half fallen angel that was orphaned at a young age until she was found by Rias and was subsequently taken into her family and in time became the first member of her Peerage. Though she usually has a kindly demeanour, beneath lies a darker personality who delights in battle and takes a sadistic pleasure in inflicting pain onto her unfortunate opponents.
In battle her primary method of combat is using her arcane mastery over lightning to overwhelm her opponents.
- Berserk Button : Berserk is a bit of an overstatement but if there's one thing that can make her drop all of her teasing it's mentioning her father to her. Though it may no longer be so much of an issue after speaking with her mother's spirit.
- Clingy Jealous Girl : While she doesn't mind other girls making a move on him, if they try to go too far she shows this side of her.
- Light 'em Up : Can fuse light with lightning to create Holy Lightning, a much more powerful sub skill of her normal lightning attacks.
- Shock and Awe : She's fond of throwing around lighting.
- I Hate You Fallen Angel Dad : Blames her father for failing to prevent her mother's death. Played with during the battle against Nidhogg where she admits the sight of her father almost dead made her realise that, even if she hates him now she still absolutely couldn't bear to see her other parent die and leave her utterly alone of family.
- In Love with Your Carnage : Her interest in Minato starts when she watches him beat down Issei. That blossoms later through other circumstances.
- Lightning Bruiser : Though she doesn't show it that often, preferring to rely on her lightning attacks, as a Queen she has all the attributes of a Bishop, Knight and Rook.
- Missing Mom : Her mother was killed some time ago, and she misses her dearly and recalls every little detail about their time. This is why her mother's soul could recall things in life that death normally takes away, as the longer they linger in death the less memories they have. She spent hours recalling everything they'd done until the memories came back, which was something even Minato didn't expect to happen.
- Number Two : To Rias, who she is often in the company of.
- Sex Is Violence : Enjoys dealing in and watching brutal battles.
- Shipper on Deck : Seems to ship Rias and Minato, or at least wants Rias to admit her feelings. This doesn't change even after she starts going after Minato herself.
- The Tease : Very fond of playfully ribbing Minato despite, or perhaps because, of the fact that he rarely reacts to her jibes.
The academy mascot. A small and quiet first year of Kuoh Academy, she is a Nekomata. Nominally quiet and reserved, she has usually has few words to say but possesses a strong will to support her fellow Peerage members and her King.
- Action Girl : She arguably the physically strongest.
- Awesomeness by Analysis : Is often the first to comment upon the unusual abilities demonstrated by Minato's Persona.
- Fights Like a Normal : Although, as a Nekomata, she does have several unique powers up until now she has fought solely using her martial art skills and the physical and defensive boost being a rook has give her. Though not as flashy as the other members of her Peerage she's shown easily holding her own with just those two.
- Hammerspace : During the exhibition match against Minato, Koneko repeatedly flings massive boulders at him she seemingly pulls out of nowhere. When questioned on this Rias herself admits she doesn't know exactly how Koneko pulls this off.
- Mighty Glacier : As a Rook this is natural for her.
- Obsessed with Food : If her giving Minato a large series of cookbooks with her favorite recipes highlighted and her opinions written on the pages is any indication.
- Only Sane Girl : Is considered the most level headed member of Rias's peerage by Minato.
- The Quiet One : Rarely says anything unless needed.
- Rescue Romance : Gains a crush on Issei for rescuing her from Nidhogg.
- The Stoic : See The Quiet One above.
One of Rias's earliest Peerage members, he is a Dhampir who had been sealed away until Rias could manage his power.
- Chekhov's Gunman : Originally mentioned way back in chapter 6, he finally makes his appearance in chapter 20.
- Hero Worship : Has some of this towards Minato in part due to being told by his fellow Peerage members on how he had helped them (certain.. creative liberties in the tellings aside).
- Ship Tease : Between him and Mittelt.
- Time Master : A rather limited version but his Forbidden Balore View allows him to freeze objects in time.
The other High-Class Devil in Kuoh Academy and the Student Council President of the school as well. Known among the human students as Souna Shitori, Sona is the cool and collected heiress to the Sitri clan and is a close friend of Rias Gremory. When she became aware of Minato's presence and abilities she was brought in to explain the current status quo between the Three Factions. Much like Rias, she has developed an interest in Minato and his unique ability to summon Persona.
In battle she is primarily reliant on water-based magic.
- The Leader : Of her own Peerage.
- Ms. Exposition : Was the one who brought Minato up to speed with the Three Factions and was also the one that explained his impact on Devil Society and Politics as well as offering him advice on the latter.
- Friendly Rival : …the two are genuine friends as well.
- The Stoic : Compared to Rias, Sona is much more businesslike and impersonal in her dealings.
Sona Sitri's Peerage
- Chivalrous Pervert : Saji, much like Issei. They even bond over it.
- Crush Blush : Tsubaki gets this whenever she interacts with Kiba .
- Genre Savvy : During Issei's plan to peak on the girls in the bath Saji mentions that he's seen and read enough anime and manga to know that his scheme will only end in blood and tears. Doesn't stop him from joining in though .
- Naginatas Are Feminine : Tsubaki wields a Naginata in battle.
- The One Guy : Saji is the only male member.
The Devil Faction
- Affably Evil : Yes , he's a Reasonable Authority Figure , a loving family man, and incredibly jovial. However, he is the ruler of Hell, a position he did not obtain by being a nice guy.
- Asskicking Leads to Leadership : Part of his election as the new Lucifer was due to his accomplishments during the Great War.
- Big Brother Instinct : Very protective of Rias and does his best to look out for her interests. He also subtly tries to determine Minato's intent towards Rias when he unexpectedly joined her Peerage.
- Big Brother Mentor : Is starting to become this for Minato, looking out for him in Devil society and giving him life advice from his own experiences.
- The Ditherer : Admits that, at the beginning after being appointed as the new Lucifer, he agonised over a lot of his decisions and spent large amounts of time scrutinizing every option before deciding something which had the effect of making him look like an unreliable and indecisive leader. His wife eventually helps break him out of this by stating that as a leader, he has to accept that he will almost certainly make mistakes and all he can do is look forward and try not to repeat them.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy : Minato mentally remarks that he would probably be very popular with women.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Vouches for Minato during their meeting with several Pillar Heads and does his best to shield Minato from scrutiny.
- Secret-Keeper : For a short while, he was this for Minato's ability to summon Persona, due to keeping the information hidden from the other political figures within the Underworld.
- Shipper on Deck : The most blatant Rias/Minato shipper.
- Rank Scales with Asskicking : When Minato summons Satan's presence into his mind, the Pillar Heads were only moderately affected by its presence compared to the servant devils around them who were immediately forced to their knees.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Every one of them seen so far has been a just and reasonable person.
- Good Parents : Sirzechs describes him as this, though he is also described as being old-fashioned.
- Literally the only reason he allowed his property to become the alliance base was that it was connected to Minato's house and that the base was for him.
- Dogged Nice Guy : Was apparently this while courting the future Lady Phenex.
- Shipper on Deck : Unsubtly tries to interest Minato in Ravel once it became clear what he was capable of.
- Badass Bookworm : Considers knowledge to be a form of strength and does a lot of research against his foes. He's also one of the few people to immediately peg Minato as a Nephilim.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!" : Was rather excited at seeing the ancestor whom he was taught to venerate in action in the flesh.
- Mr. Exposition : Gave a more thorough rundown of the Great War as well as the current situation of the Underworld. Is also the one who gave an explanation for what a Nephilim is.
- Red Baron : Known in the Underworld as "The Emperor."
- Training from Hell : Spends most of his free time training with his Peerage in inhospitable environments.
- The Atoner : Realizes that he was, in his words, "a bit of a... dick" when he first met Minato, and resolved to better himself and apologize to all those he wronged. He makes good on his promise.
- Big Brother Instinct : What finally causes him to stop trying to fly away from Belial was seeing Ravel get thrown halfway across the landscape and retired.
- Break the Haughty : Gets a big one when Belial is summoned, which is ironic since beforehand he had given a long monologue on how only the true-blooded devils wield real power after he was told not to underestimate Minato's power.
- Bully Hunter : Rather surprisingly, it's Riser that comes to Minato's aid when he was being verbally accosted by Zephyrdor. Made better by the fact that from Riser's perspective Minato was just a stranger (due to it being at a Masquerade Ball ) and that no one else was willing to intervene.
- Handsome Lech : Handsome in a roguish fashion and an entire Peerage of females all of whom (except for Ravel) are in a physical relationship with him.
- Healing Factor : As a member of the Phenex Clan, he naturally has this. Not that it helps much against Belial, who simply beats him until he stops healing.
- Humble Pie : Since his defeat at Minato's hands Riser is shown to have mellowed out considerably, having a Jerkass Realization , apologizing to Rias for his previous behavior and planning on doing to same to Minato.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold : For all his faults he's not really a bad person at heart, especially when compared to the malice of true demons, and he genuinely cares about his Peerage members. He grows more into this later in the story.
- Jerkass Realization : Has realized that he's been a "dick" (as Yubelluna puts it) after the rather humbling experience of being beaten into a coma during his Rating game and has resolved to make good on his previous behaviour.
- Playing with Fire
Riser Phenex's Peerage
- Having a Blast : Yubelluna, Riser's Queen, has this.
- True Companions : All of them are genuinely loyal to Riser and the members are more than willing to pull off a Heroic Sacrifice if it means giving him the chance to win.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy : Has two sets of twins in his peerage.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys : Minato notes that his good looks would probably attract a lot of impressionable young girls.
- Delinquent : His appearance has shades of one. His personality fits the mold as well.
- Dirty Coward : Like a lot of bullies, he tends to back down quickly when facing someone he can't beat or intimidate and prefers to pick on targets that (he thinks) can't fight back.
- Fantastic Racism : The first devil who expresses outright distaste for reincarnated devils, seeing that as diluting the purity of true devils.
The Angel Faction
- Big Good : Was this until he was murdered. Part of Heaven's current decline is due to their struggle to fill in adequately for his death.
- Heroic Sacrifice : Died sealing Trihexa away.
- Humans Are Special : Holds this view, hence why he created and gifted humanity with Sacred Gears.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished : Sealed away Trihexa at the cost of greatly weakening himself and in doing so saved the world and everyone in it. While most of the Factions did not take advantage of this, Kokabiel decided to use this as an opportunity to murder him.
- Poor Communication Kills : According to the Persona Uriel ( who's reliability is admittedly questionable ), some of his more questionable orders in the bible were due to humans misinterpreting him whenever he communicates with them directly (e.g. Abraham mistaking God's praise for his piousness as a command to sacrifice his own son). This was apparently why he stopped bothering to speak to humanity anymore.
- Posthumous Character : The impact of his death has been commented on many times during the story.
- Rank Scales with Asskicking : THE single most powerful being within the Three Factions.
- Big Good : Has to fill in for this in God's place.
- The Chains of Commanding : Having to lead Heaven in place of God after most of its numbers have been decimated have taken their toll to the point where Michael fully believes that Heaven is dying under his leadership. He gets better when he learns God could be reborn.
- The Fatalist : Several of his lines show signs of this and he even admits that at the beginning he considered himself this but in time came to believe that it was all true. He gets better when he learns God could be reborn.
- I Should Have Been Better : Is riddled with guilt over everything he hasn't been able to do in God's stead.
- Took a Level in Kindness : Compared to the Persona version of him, who is what he basically was before God's death, he's much more mellowed out due to needing to taking on more responsibilities as the new leader of Heaven.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are : Metatron consoles Michael, telling him that he was chosen by God to lead for a reason and that there was no shame in failing to live up to the standards of God.
Raynare The Archangel of Vengeance
Raynare was the minor leader of a low levelled group of Fallen Angels. She kicks off the story when her plot to kill Asia directly leads to Issei attempting to stop her which in turn leads to Minato stumbling upon her and her group of Fallen Angels. Though initially dismissive of him, seeing him as an ordinary human without any special abilities, Minato summons Metatron to deal with her and shatters her pride when he rips her wings off.
Now powerless, her comrades beseech Minato to take her under his protection as she has no way to defend herself from any Angels or Devils that may try to kill her. Seeing that she was not entirely unrepentant, he agrees and Raynare has since spent her time trying to come to terms with her new circumstances and trying to unravel the mystery that is Minato Arisato.
- Ascended Extra : In the light novels, Raynare was just a Starter Villain who's quickly killed off. Here she's one of the main characters and is given a backstory and fully fleshes out her character.
- Beneath the Mask : As it turns out, her arrogant and psychotic tendencies were at least partially a coping mechanism that stems from her attempting to take solace in her status and block out the pain of her Falling. Once that's stripped away she's shown to a bitter and self-hating wreck who, while hating everything that she's done and become, believes that she has long past any possible redemption.
- Breast Expansion : After being revived, Raynare points out to Minato that her breasts are bigger than she remembered them to be. Minato says nothing because he has absolutely no idea how to respond to this since her revival was based on how he remembered her.
- Brought Down to Normal : Having her wings removed basically forced her abilities down to human level, though she still has some characteristics of a Fallen Angel such as a high tolerance to mild poisons and the ability to form talons from her nails. Subverted once she becomes the Archangel of Venegance.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer : After returning as a new Archangel, Michael notes that she has a lot of "eccentricities" from the time she spent as a Fallen.
- Came Back Strong : Is brought back to life as an Archangel with wings made out of pure light and given Inaerion to wield and immediately starts tearing through the remains of Kokabiel's Fallen Angel Army.
- Clingy Jealous Girl : While her actual feelings towards Minato are too complex to be summed up as liking him, she is noticeably displeased with seeing him get along with Rias and Akeno. After she becomes an Archangel , she says outright she loves him, and thus has much bigger problems with anyone else getting close to him.
- Death Equals Redemption : When ordered by Kokabiel to kill Minato, Raynare stabs herself instead and is promptly killed by him . As she was dying she was redeemed by the light... and returned as the Archangel of Vengeance.
- Despair Event Horizon : While she was already fairly close to it since Falling, see the Main Page, after getting her wings ripped off and losing her powers she spends a long time teetering on the edge. It's partly thanks to Minato that she manages to keep herself from crossing it.
- Drowning My Sorrows : Rayare began doing this shortly after moving into Minato's apartment once the full impact of her situation hits her. She eventually manages to work past it, though she remains bitter, after a heart to heart with him.
- Heel�Face Turn : Finally manages to get out from Kokabiel's psychological grip on her and, after dying, is cleansed of her sins after accepting everything that she is and is resurrected.
- Jerkass : Her experiences since Falling have made her a rather bitter and cruel person. Minato notes that while he may be sympathetic to her plight, it's difficult to maintain sometimes due to her unpleasant personality.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold : After a lot of Character Development and coming back as the Archangel of Vengance Raynare becomes much calmer and kinder overall.
- Love Martyr : She states that the one thing she doesn't regret since Falling is falling in love, though she does regret that it was with Kokabiel, even though doing so was what directly led to her Falling. The psychological damages of this were really shown when Raynare would still obey Kokabiel despite knowing that she was only a throwaway amusement for him
- Motive Rant : Goes into one when Minato comments on how desperate she seems for one of his pieces.
- Sex for Services : Offers to sleep with Minato in exchange for one of his Evil Pieces, figuring she had nothing else to offer him. He turns her down but freely offered her one of his pieces anyway, though after talking about it with him she decides not to go through with it. Did the same with Freed in exchange for him leaving Asia alone.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot : Swears more than a lot of people in the story, ironically especially after she becomes an Archangel.
- That Man Is Dead : Originally seemed to have this view of her past life as a Fallen though it's subverted when Minato points out that she still has her memories and mannerisms from that time which she doesn't deny.
Zeruel The Archangel of Might
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like : Still very brusque towards the Occult Research Club even after they save with from being devoured by Nidhogg.
- Cool Sword : Bellum, the Blade of Angels.
- Expy : Of Imperius .
- Fantastic Racism : The crux of his argument against the alliance. He believes that devils, Fallen and humans can never be as courageous, selfless or honorable as the angels. Michael asks if that's really the case before pointing out examples that happened not five minutes earlier.
- Four-Star Badass : Is the current general of Heaven's armies.
- Freudian Excuse : He's clearly witnessed (and presided over) the worst carnage of the Great War, so it's not surprising that he's become a bigoted jerk.
- Good is Not Nice : He's one of the leading Archangels of Heaven. He's also bigoted, blunt to the point of rudeness, and openly looks down on anything he sees as lesser beings.
- Honor Before Reason : Refuses to change the ways of Heaven from old or to accept help from the Devils or Fallen on the, admittedly reasonable, grounds that it was due to them that Heaven was in such dire straits in the first place, even when the alternative is Heaven's slow extinction.
- Jerkass Has a Point : Points out that Heaven did not strike the first blow in the Great War and points out many of the atrocities that each side has committed, particularly Azazel who admits that all of Zeruel's grievances are entirely legitimate.
- Playing with Fire : In his case, his wings are literally made out of fire.
- This Is Unforgivable! : Clearly has this view against the Devils and Fallen for killing the Messiah.
The Fallen Angel Faction
- The Atoner : One of the key figures during the Great War and has previously tried to influence as many Angels to Fall as possible. Now he no longer does this and is doing his best to sue for peace among the Factions. He is also perfectly willing to take all the blame for the War if it means peace can be achieved between the three factions.
- Et Tu, Brute? : His reaction to Vali turning on him since he's treated him like a son for much of his life. This combined with Kokabiel and several other Fallen Angels going rogue is what prompts him to resign as the leader of the Grigori, though he's later talked into just taking a temporary leave of duties.
- A Father to His Men : Both Raynare and Vali note that he treats his subordinates like this.
- Handsome Lech : His first response to Metatron threatening to carve his face-off is to lament how all the beautiful women he's known would mourn the loss of his good looks.
- Mundane Object Amazement : He's remarked that he's found a special adhesive in the human world that can allow him to stick many things together and even magically bind together some of his broken inventions so they work again. He called them Butt Drapes. Turns out its duct tape .
- Well-Intentioned Extremist : Was this during the Great War, tempting Angels to fall and experimenting on corpses in an attempt to find a way to end the Great War quickly to stop all sides from being pushed into extinction.
- Papa Wolf : It is implied that one of the reasons he was so eager to stop Kokabiel was because his daughter was in the line of fire. Then there's his reaction to Nidhogg gutting Akeno, where he comes closer then just about anyone to bringing him down.
- Survivor Guilt : Minato theorizes he's suffering from this from failing to protect his wife and daughter.
- Bad Boss : Aside from the standard You Have Outlived Your Usefulness , he is callously indifferent to the lives of his soldiers, have weaker warriors killed as cannon fodder and bombard the area, and order others to do the same, even when his own men are in the firing line.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block : Does this when Kiba throws one of his Demonic Swords at him. Unfortunately for him, the sword in question was designed to explode.
- The Corrupter : Was the one that tempted Raynare to fall.
- Dirty Coward : For all his power and pride, he immediately fled the field after assassinating God rather than face Metatron's wrath. Also after Raynare is brought back as the Archangel of Vengeance and thoroughly trashes him, he desperately claims that he had always loved her despite ridiculing and killing her only minutes before.
- Fantastic Racism : Believes that the Fallen Angels are superior and one of his motivations for trying to restart the Great War is his utter disgust at the idea of different species doing anything other than killing each other.
- Fate Worse than Death : He gets sent to Cocytus and, to make sure he never escapes, Minato breaks his mind and drives him insane.
- Human Pincushion : Kiba, Xenovia, Irina and Tsubaki all runs their weapons through him when he enters the battlefield. He laughs it off before trashing them . The resurrected Raynare later does it more effectively with Inaerion.
- Small Name, Big Ego : Sees himself as the "Slayer of God" and the future of the world. Literally the only reason he has that title is because God just spent all his energy sealing Trihexa away.
- Ungrateful Bastard : When God was left weakened sealing away something that threatened the Fallen, Devils, and Angels, none of them tried slaying him while weakened. Kokabiel was the only one who moved against him and kills him.
- War Is Glorious : Fervently believes this and hates the idea of peace.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness : Like most Bad Bosses .
Dohnaseek, Mittelt and Kalawarner
- Ascended Extra : All three were unceremoniously killed off in the anime, here they survived and play a part in later events.
- Despair Event Horizon : While some of this is natural to them as Fallen Angels, it's specifically mentioned that Kalawarner Fell due to the impact of so many high-ranking angels being killed. Part of the reason she's the most eager of the three for redemption is because Metatron was the one who gave them the chance.
- Evil Genius / The Smart Guy : Dohnaseek was originally an archivist as an Angel and it's mentioned that part of the reason he fell was seeking forbidden knowledge. He is also the first one to figure out that Minato is Nephilim.
- Heel�Face Turn : They were given the Mark of Penance which would allow them redemption. They later show up to help bolster the defenses of Kuoh Academy against Kokabiel.
- Hero Worship : Towards Metatron. Most (horrifyingly) seen with Kalawarner.
- The Leader : Dohnaseek was originally The Dragon to Raynare and has since become the one who primarily directs them, though the other two don't exactly defer to him willingly.
- Ship Tease : Between Mittelt and Gaspar.
- Token Evil Teammate : Mittelt, who is the most cruel member and is seemingly the only one who isn't actually interested in redemption. She's also the most callous towards Raynare and doesn't see the point in trying to help her now that she's lost her powers.
- Wham Line : "Among those that had fallen was Metatron" while not actually shocking to Minato, it's the first sign that Minato's Persona are not entirely the same as the originals since the Metatron from D×D was long dead.
- Brutal Honesty : Tends to express her opinions without beating around the bush.
- Cool Sword : Is the current wielder of Durandal, she is later also given one of the Excaliburs.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life : Has fallen into this since the revelation that God is dead, trying to find a new direction to her life after having one of the core tenets of her original destroyed. While Irina is happy to be reborn as an angel Xenovia is against the idea due to it not being what she actually wants. Minato eventually gives her one in protecting the weak, just like Asia. Perhaps your purpose isn't to hunt people like her, but to protect people like her.
- Heroic BSoD : Gets one after being told that God is dead and that is was Kokabiel who killed him. Later on, though she's gotten over the worst of it, it's implied that she's still struggling on some level to come to terms with the revelation.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One : Reaches this after starting to have doubts about the choices she made in life and realizing that, as the chosen wielder of Durandal, she couldn't simply quit being an exorcist like some of her older peers.
- My God, What Have I Done? : Is shown to have shades of this where it's implied that she carries guilt from the questionable actions and orders that she's fulfilled in the past while justifying herself that she was serving God only to find out that God has been dead long before she was even born.
- The Stoic : Is very serious all the time in contrast to Irina
- Childhood Friend Romance : Minato suspects that she's crushing on him, and he's definitely not wrong.
- Clingy Jealous Girl : Is unhappy at seeing how close Issei and Asia are.
- Dual Wielding : Later gains another one for this during the fight for Kuoh Academy.
- Heroic BSoD : Gets one after being told that God is dead and that is was Kokabiel who killed him
- Nice Girl : Much more warm and friendly compared to Xenovia.
- An Arm and a Leg : Has one of his arms ripped off in the process of escaping Uriel.
- Oh, Crap! : Is left speechless and drops his Excalibur after seeing Minato summon Uriel.
- Attack! Attack! Attack! : For all their skill and experience in actual combat, their strategy for engagement boils down to "charge and kill" until the enemies are dead. Against foes like Kokabiel, this ends badly for them.
- Badass Normal : A group of completely normal, if highly trained, humans fully capable of taking on Devils with nothing but mass-produced holy weapons, armour and their prayers.
- Church Militant : Their main function within the church. Which they threw away when they learned God was dead. They now serve Minato and Humanity instead.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu : Completely averted. It's noted that any one of Minato, Kiba, Xenovia, Irina, Koneko and even Issei could easily defeat a member of the Knights Templar individually. What makes them so dangerous is not only how they attack in large numbers but how they are also well trained in working together as a group. In particular, this is Inverted with the particular group the main characters face who were supplied with holy weapons and armour from Valper that are blessed with a chaining effect that reinforces their potency in direct proportion to their numbers.
- Of course, Adelmar knows that this doesn't justify anything the Templars have done. It does, however, make them understandable and relatable.
- Hidden Depths : As it turns out, the Knights Templar are well aware of their reputation as… Knights Templar but are willing accept the stigma due to their belief that they must perform the deeds that no one else can sully their hands with.
- Holy Hand Grenade : Their armour and weapons aside, they will often chant prayers during battles which serve to weaken foes like Devils and Fallen Angels. Several members also carry flamethrowers that spew artificial holy flames .
- Knight Templar : Putting the name aside , they are religious zealots who will hunt Devils and Fallen without logic or reason and have no problem hurting innocents or allying with excommunicated church members so long as they succeed. Of course, this actually ends up being reversed when Minato summons Uriel to deal with them and the remaining members make a, sort of , Heel�Face Turn . It's later subverted when it's shown that the members are far more then just zealots and knowingly take on their role to do perform the duties that the church can't dirty their hands with.
- Mook Chivalry : Nope! They attack in waves, give no opportunity for counterattacks, will separate and surround their enemies and mercilessly hack them to pieces.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training : The rigorous training each member went through is what allows them to fight as a team against devils so well. However, the trade off is it left them all pretty much with No Social Skills .
- Villainous BSoD : When Kokabiel reveals that God died in the Great War and that he was the one who killed him , the Knights Templar are struck particularly hard by this since they're religious zealots.
- Weak, but Skilled : Each member is nothing special individually but as a group they are extremely dangerous thanks to their skill and experience in fighting together against devils.
- For Science! : It becomes obvious that he doesn't care at all about his religion or the teachings of the church, all he wants is the resources for all his experiments.
- It's All About Me : The only thing he regretted about the Holy Swords Project was that it wasted his own time for information that wasn't worth the cost and time.
- Karmic Death : Dies at the hands of the only survivor of the Holy Sword Project.
- Lack of Empathy : In fact he even ridicules the others who worked on the Holy Sword Project for emphasizing with the subjects rather than treating them as lab rats like he told them to.
- Villains Want Mercy : Begs for this from both Uriel and Kiba.
- Brainwashed and Crazy : Many of the grunts that make up their army are basically innocent people with Sacred Gears who were wiped of their minds and wills, effectively turning them into living automatons.
- Early-Bird Cameo : They appear well before their canon introduction in the novels, before any other member of the Khaos Brigade even.
- Fantastic Racism : They hate any kind of supernatural creature.
- Faux Affably Evil : They put on a show of acting polite but it's obvious that it's all an act.
- He Who Fights Monsters : See Hypocrite above.
- Hypocrite : As Minato points out in both of their appearances, they say they fight for the potential of humanity from the supernatural, when they conveniently ignore that humans themselves have also taken advantage of other humans since the dawn of time. Their army also consists of people who had their potential taken away from them by way of being Brainwashed and Crazy .
- Knight Templar : They attack a peace conference that would be beneficial to everyone solely because it was the best chance to take out the major supernatural powers.
- No True Hero : While it's not outright stated, it's clear that they've gathered this opinion of Minato after talking with him, Hercules in particular.
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes : Will settle for nothing less than completely wiping out all the other supernatural factions in the world, regardless of whether or not they are actually malevolent or not.
- Condescending Compassion : Cao Cao shows some of this when he becomes convinced that Minato is blind to the truth (that he believes in).
- Dirty Business : For however much it's worth, he's genuinely distasteful about some of his own methods but considers them Necessarily Evil in order to defend humanity. Though as it turns out he actually had nothing to do with mass brainwashing sacred gear users into an army
- A God Am I : Minato accuses Cao Cao of this, stating that his actions were no different than that of a person playing God.
- He Who Fights Monsters : Claims to fight for humanity against the Three Factions who would exploit and use humans for their own selfish causes when he himself is all too willing to brainwash and forcefully conscript hundreds of innocent Sacred Gear users to form his army. Although it's later revealed that he didn't make them like that, rather the allies from the magician faction are the ones who did so and left him with them minutes before the attack on the peace conference leaving him no choice but to push forward lest he jeopardise the entire attack . That said he still gets called out for allying himself with other non-humans.
- Hypocrisy Nod : Credit where credit is due though, he takes the criticism to heart and immediately severs ties with the Khaos Brigade in the aftermath of the attack.
- The Leader : Of the Hero Faction.
- Moral Myopia : Just look at the entry in He Who Fights Monsters for starters!
- Rank Scales with Asskicking : Manages to hold his own against the Persona versions of Achilles, Guan Yu, Jeanne d'Arc and Mordred each of whom had already drove away his allies.
- The Unfettered : He does not hold back.
- He does recognize this from Minato's speech, which is why he breaks his alliance with the devil and magician factions once the attack on the conference fails.
- Why Won't You Die? : Says this after Minato, who had already suffered countless fatal injuries, even survives being impaled on the True Longinus.
- With Us or Against Us : Cao Cao makes it clear that if Minato doesn't join them he will be considered an enemy to the Hero Faction.
- You Will Be Spared : Even though he considers Minato a traitor to humanity, in chapter 16 he still gives him a chance to escape the battle between the Khaos Brigade and the Three Factions.
- Achilles' Heel : For all his power Ascalon, the dragon-slaying sword, proves to be capable of driving him back.
- Dragon Of Mass Destruction
- A God Am I : Is revealed to have infused himself with snakes from Ophis, giving him a healing factor and increasing his already formidable power such that he literally calls himself a God.
- Healing Factor : One that heals him even faster than Twilight Healing! But it can't heal him if he takes enough damage to scatter his organs and amputate parts of his body.
- Hero Killer : Kills of all the Knights Templar he faces and takes out the entire Occult Research Club, Zeruel, Irina, Xenovia, Baraquiel and Raynare by himself. His counterpart brings them right back.
- An Ice Person : An Ice Dragon.
- The Juggernaut : Once he destroys Ascalon , he proves utterly unstoppable. Until they get a Heroic Second Wind and gang up on him again.
- Mighty Glacier : He's not slow by any definition of the word, but his sheer size compared to his opponents means he has difficulty with maneuvering around them and thus resorts to this kind of fighting style to compensate.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown : Has one initially delivered to him by the combined forces of the Occult Research Club and the Knight Templar. Once he recovers and bites Ascalon into pieces, he delivers one right back. And they give him the last one after his counterpart appears.
- Rasputinian Death : By the end of the fight, he's been mauled by the Persona Nidhogg, bombarded with Holy Lightning from both Akeno and Baraquiel, assaulted by Kiba, Irina, Xenovia and the remains of the Knights Templar, get half of his head caved in and electrocuted by one of the Hammerhands after overcharging the core of his shock maul , stabbed in the head with the remains of Ascalon and, have a concentrated blast of the Power of Destruction shot down his throat and blowing out the back of his skull. All of that still wasn't enough to finish him, it took being completely disemboweled by Zeruel whilst he was trying to escape to finally bring him down and even then it wasn't until the Persona Nidhogg completely crushed his skull that he died once and for all.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist : What he sees himself as, citing how his kind were driven from their nests and killed off, sealed away by lesser beings when they were the pinnacle of power and balance. His counterpart calls him out on it .
- Energy Absorption : A variation. Divine Dividing can halve an opponent's power every 10 seconds and add it to Vali's own reserves and the effect is accumulative.
- Power Gives You Wings : Divine Dividing manifests itself as a pair of white metallic wings.
- Blood Knight : Is called a battle maniac by several characters. That said he is more than capable of keeping himself restrained when outside of fighting.
- Know When to Fold 'Em : Although he's a Blood Knight he also has the sense to know not to start a fight he has no chance of winning and retreating when the odds stack up against him.
- Pet the Dog : A somewhat subtle one, but when Vali betrays Azazel he only knocks him out rather than kill him and we learn later on that the primary goal of the attack was to kill leaders of each faction.
- Revenge : His primary motivation is to avenge the wrongs his ancestors have dealt him.
- Super Power Lottery : As a possessor of one of the Longinus this is natural, but the fact that he's also half-devil AND is a descendant of the original Lucifer means he stands out even among the other Longinus users.
- Wild Card : Although he betrays the Three Factions to the Khaos Brigade it's noted by both sides that even with all the power Vali brings, he also makes an unreliable ally at best. Vali himself flat out states that he doesn't consider anyone to be his master and will simply work with anyone who gives incentive to accomplish his goals.
- Deliver Us from Evil Series
- CharacterSheets/Fan Works
- Demon In Fodlan
- Action Adventure
- Crime & Punishment
- Professional Wrestling
- Speculative Fiction
- Sports Story
- Animation (Western)
- Music And Sound Effects
- Print Media
- Sequential Art
- Tabletop Games
- Applied Phlebotinum
- Characters As Device
- Narrative Devices
- British Telly
- The Contributors
- Creator Speak
- Derivative Works
- Laws And Formulas
- Show Business
- Split Personality
- Truth And Lies
- Truth In Television
- Fate And Prophecy
- Edit Reasons
- Isolated Pages
- Images List
- Recent Videos
- Crowner Activity
- Un-typed Pages
- Recent Page Type Changes
- Trope Entry
- Character Sheet
- Playing With
- Creating New Redirects
- Cross Wicking
- Tips for Editing
- Text Formatting Rules
- Handling Spoilers
- Trope Repair Shop
- Image Pickin'
Fanfic Competition -- Topic -- HOGWARTS DAYS
Word count? 500-17500 words!
Due date? October 2nd! CLICK HERE! write now!
Hi there, Guest
- Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure New Thread Thursday + Shit Post Sunday READ ME Dismiss Notice
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser .
WIP A Demon Among Devils by The Crimson Lord - T - Persona/DxD
Discussion in ' Games ' started by frantic , Jun 7, 2014 .
- author: the crimson lord
- highschool dxd
- persona series
Title: A Demon Among Devils Author: The Crimson Lord Rating: T Genre: Adventure/Fantasy Status: WIP Fandom: Persona Series/High School DxD Pairings: Mitsuru/Minato, in the past. None currently. Summary: Igor had asked him to die for the world. She would ask him to die for her. Problem was, he didn't really like dying, not for a second time, at least. Persona fanfic is very, very rarely good. There's always something wrong with it - the portrayal of Minato or Narukami Yu, the way Personas work, or the general plot. It's not easy to get right. A Demon Among Devils is the best persona fanfic I have read in years . Minato's characterization is perfect, and the way The Crimson Lord uses Personas in his writing is brilliant. They feel like incredibly powerful beings that could crush a person under their feet - which they should, because Personas are manifestations of some of the strongest demons and angels in existence. It takes Personas literally. Arthur is King Arthur, wielder of Excalibur, Ruler of Britannia, The Once and Future King. Michael is the Michael, Captain of the Angelic Host, the killer of Satan in the war in Revelations, archangel. It's incredibly fascinating to read, because most of the time Persona fanfic takes Personas a bit less enthusiastically then this one does. Oh and it's about High School DxD. Mishie tells me the characterization of the people on that side is very good, but I haven't actually read or watched anything from High School DxD aside from this and Jon's Dresden crossover. I give it a 4/5 , mainly because the plot is only truly starting this chapter, and even if I love the rest of it, I'd like to wait and see where it goes.
I've been very much enjoying this story. It's got great characterization and for once I'm not particularly bothered by the Protagonist's unlimited powah!!1! I like how even though Minato is so good he doesn't supplant the DxD characters' accomplishments, even though they aren't in the foreground. Asia is adorable. I really, really like the events of the latest chapter following the Riser Phenix Rating Game. Also, I love that he refuses to become pat of a peerage- which is something I dislike in a lot fanfiction.
Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter
TMNTurtwig said: ↑ Also, I love that he refuses to become pat of a peerage- which is something I dislike in a lot fanfiction. Click to expand...
Captain Trips High Inquisitor
I'm getting rather annoyed at the author copying spechees from other media, he should write his own. That alone makes me give this story 3/5 instead of 4/5.
tragicmat1 Death Eater
Updated. I honestly didn't even realize the author is copying other speeches, I guess that explains why they are so nice. Still, as I don't notice it, it doesn't bother me and I like reading it very much. Still a 5/5 for me.
Imraefi Third Year
Which speeches has he copied from?
Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido
Just from a cursory glance I can see Diablo 3 Imperius, Smaug from the Hobbit, and World of Warcraft's Deathwing.
Erandil Minister of Magic
Yeah I also like this story, the apathetic character nicely counterbalances his powers and it is always nice to read a story that doesn´t rehash to much Canon. Didn´t notice the thing with the speeches since they fit the story quite well but will keep an out for it now.
Reading the first few chapters of this actually pushed me to read/watch a Let's Play for P3 & P4. Minato's stoic but laid-back and accepting character is a nice change from the norm and the Personas are always quite epic. Every entrace they make feels like one of the cooler things I've read in recent times. I liked the big, bold speeches for them enough that I was disappointed that they didn't appear in the games. I suppose I'd take away half a mark for the lack of originality there but it doesn't bother me, tbh. He can be a bit of the wordy side too but I'm genuinely looking forward to more from this. A solid 4/5 for me.
Orm Embar Auror
This has been updated, and it looks like the fecal matter is on an intercept course for the fan. Half the fun of this fic is the fact that the personas have personalities. Summoning legendary heroes and divine entities to do your bidding should feel momentous, and this fic nails that; with the advent of this latest chapter, it seems the opposition is getting in on the bolded text action too.
rajvir Third Year
I very much enjoyed this story, I admit that this easily gets a 5/5 from me as I have read it several times and it stills feels extremely epic to me. I am always on the edge of my seat when I notice it's updated and I very much want to drop everything else to go read it.
Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter
I apparently never posted in this thread despite shilling for this fic for a couple years. Crimson Lord has a particular flair for writing that I really enjoy. I can even stomach the dumpster fire that is Deprived, his omega edge mercenary Harry/Fleur fic. With that said, this is fantastic. The blending of the two universes is done very well, and the characterization is top notch. The battles are suitably epic in the truest sense of the word, while rarely stepping into the realm of overdone. Minato is an enjoyable protagonist in this setting, playing the straight man to the typical anime haremshit hijinks. Thankfully, those are toned down from canon DxD. I've reread this story over half a dozen times, and I enjoy it immensely every time. It has its flaws, the bolded text can eventually feel a bit much, and it doesn't avoid all the anime tropes that I usually find irritating. Despite that, I can give this a 5/5. Imperfect, but still standing as one of my favorite pieces of fanfiction ever written.
Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter
A conversation on Discord brought this up, and here I go again re-reading it once more. This is worth re-reading. It's hammy and melodramatic and over the top in all sorts of ways, but it works really well here. The story doesn't feel like a cheesy mess. Minato, the personas, and the events around them all have a gravitas which makes this feel like everything is happening on an epic scale. Even his personality adds to this - he's calm, and distanced, and objective. Nothing really shakes him, so he comes across as a little apathetic, but empathy and consideration are apparent in his actions, which ties his character together, The stations of canon are hit, sure, but there's a constant escalation and exaggeration over the original events which keep this feeling fresh even when the end results are fairly similar. Everything from the battle scenes to Minato's presence among the cast is more intense. The author has a marvelous sense for building a mood, tying it together with clever syntax and imposing imagery. The personas feel real - not just like real characters, but like the real incarnation of deities. That's a rare thing to pull off, and it consistently works here. Their introductory speeches are mostly pretty damn good, too, for all that a recognisable quote slips in from time to time and breaks my immersion. First I read Jon's DxD / Dresden crossover. And then I read this. And then I watched the show. The source material isn't anywhere near as good as this fic, but underneath all the weeb shit is a really cool setting. This fic pares back the anime vibe and replaces it with something powerful and satisfying - this is the Game of Champions of DxD. 5/5
Complete Demon Hunter by Nex-thanarak - (T)
- No, create an account now.
- Yes, my password is:
- Forgot your password?
- Search titles only
Separate names with a comma.
- Search this thread only
- Display results as threads
- Recent Posts
/ Anime & Comics / RAISER PHENEX: A DEMON AMONG-ST DEVILS
RAISER PHENEX: A DEMON AMONG-ST DEVILS
Anime & comics 0 chapter 540.6k views, author: amaturewriter.
4.66 (40 ratings)
Download App In Library Add to Library
Dude Transmigrate's into Riser Phenex's body. [A rewrite]
Weekly Power Status
You may also like.
Top 10 Anime & Comics Books
Naruto: Back in Ancient Times
A Cliché Multiverse story
Marvel: The Beast System
Meta Essence Gacha in Marvel
The story is coming soon
- Writing Quality
- Stability of Updates
- Story Development
- Character Design
- World Background
The total score 0.0
instagram tiktok twitter facebook youtube
© 2023 Webnovel
About Newsroom Brand Guideline
Translators & Editors Commercial Audio business Help & Service DMCA Notification Webnovel Forum Online service Vulnerability Report